Every night before a race, I gather my favorite New York City Marathon branded fanny pack and make sure they have some key items to make sure that I had the best race possible. I remember running my first 5k with a bottle of water, but as I graduated to 10ks, halfs and even fulls I realized that I needed certain things to make my race experience more enjoyable. Now I never leave home without it!
- A Mini Battery Charger: Since I run with music always, there is always the chance that my cell phone battery might die mid run. Since that would be an absolute disaster for me personally I carry around a super small charger (that usually fits in my hand) so it can fit in my pockets in my tights or my very cute fanny pack. I wrap the cord really tight and stuff it in there too. Sometimes I need it, sometimes I don’t–but it’s super helpful when I finish a race and I need to contact a friend or family that i’m looking for.
- Chapstick: This one is obvious but even in the warmer temps my lips tend to get dry while I’m running. I now have a running dedicated chapstick that lives in my fanny pack because my lips need to be comfortable!
- Tylenol: In distances over a 10k there are generally tons of medical tents along the route, but not everywhere. I tend to get headaches during and after long distances, so having the medication on hand is super helpful. I put two tylenol in a super small ziploc bag or paper towel and fold it a dozen times.
- Money: This one is a no brainer. In NYC, there are plenty of places to buy things, during the 20 mile tune up race a few years ago, I stopped at a Central Park hot dog vendor and bought a ice old water. I keep money in the fanny pack that never gets touched unless I’m racing.
- Wipes: This one is KEY. One word, Port-a-potties. However, wipes are really helpful during the warmer months when everything gets really sticky and gross. Wipes can be a total lifesaver!! I usually throw them in a ziploc and fold as much as possible.
**Bonus: A small anti bacterical spray/lotion/gel…again…the port-o-potties!There are certain VERY important items that I cannot race without! I'm sharing them today with my friends @vitatrain4life, @carlypizzani, @HappyFitMama, @ThisRunRecipes! #runchat #running #racegear
I am teaming up with my favorite running bloggers to share our FAVORITE must have race items, check them out, you may learn something new, (I did!):
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama
Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes
Allie @ Vita Train 4 Life
Sandra @ Organic Runner Mom
Carly @ Fine Fit Day
What is the #1 thing you need for every race?