Let’s face it: some days, the motivation to run flows like a river, while on others it’s a mere trickle. Some mornings, we spring from bed, ready to hit the road, while on other occasions, the thought of lacing up those running shoes is daunting. Today i’m sharing some helpful mantras for runners that will keep you going!
On those challenging days, training runs or even actual races can turn into a mental and physical battle. Mantras – simple, powerful statements – can make all the difference. As you may know, mantras originate from ancient traditions, where they were used as a tool for meditation and concentration. Similarly, in the world of running, they serve as mental anchors, bolstering our willpower and pushing us beyond our perceived limits.
Mantras For Runners
In the following lines, I’m sharing nine of my favorite running mantras, the phrases that have carried me over miles of roads and trails, along with tips on how to create and use your mantras effectively.
- I’ve done this before: Remember your successful runs. Confidence from past success can fuel your current effort. It’s proof you can do it again!
- Step by step: Running, like any journey, is taken one step at a time. Focus on the immediate next step, not the miles that lay ahead.
- Interval celebrations: Set small, achievable goals during your run, like making it to the next light post or completing the next mile. Celebrate when you reach them!
- I’m stronger than all of this: You’ve faced challenges before, and you’ve overcome them. This run is no different.
- The hay is in the barn: A reminder that you’ve done the preparation and the hard work. You’re ready for this.
- _______ is waiting for me at the finish line: Is it your loved ones? A well-deserved meal? Or the sweet taste of accomplishment? Keep your eyes on the prize.
- Make a mental race buddy: Find someone who’s running at your pace. Use their presence to keep you motivated. If they fall back, find another one!
- If it was easy, everyone would do it: Remember, you’re already a step ahead just by being out there. Not everyone has the courage or the determination to do this.
- The body achieves what the mind believes: The power of the mind is immense. Sometimes, all you need is a mental reset to keep going.
Remember, mantras are personal and should resonate with you. They could be phrases that remind you of your strength, your reason for running, or your running goals. Renowned runner Eliud Kipchoge, for example, uses the mantra “No human is limited” to propel him forward.
And it’s not just about choosing the right words. How you use your mantra matters, too. Repeat it mentally, say it aloud, write it on your hand, or even on your running gear – the idea is to let it seep into your consciousness. With time, these mantras become a habit, a part of your running routine.
Studies have shown that mantras can indeed enhance performance by focusing attention away from the sensation of fatigue. Furthermore, using different mantras for different running scenarios, like hill climbing or sprinting, can make them more effective.
To end, I’d like to share a quote from famed ultramarathoner Scott Jurek, who said, “What I found is that by not pushing, I could push more”. So find your mantra, and let it carry you through miles and milestones. And remember, the power of running mantras lies in their consistent use. Happy running!
I am teaming up with my FAVORITE running bloggers to share all of our favorite running mantras with you! Get your motivation and keep pushing forward with the following blog posts:
What are some other running posts you should check out?
- Must Have Hydration Tips For Runners
- 6 Must Have Treadmill Workouts For Runners
- Hill Workouts For Runners: Beat The Beast!
- How To Stay Sane On The Treadmill
What do you say to yourself while running? What is your favorite motivational quote?
Hi! I’m Nellie. I am a busy mama of three, wife to my high school sweetheart who loves to cook, workout and stay organized! I love to share helpful printables, the best recipes and fitness tips for the modern mom. I strongly believe that every mom can feed their family well, take proper care of themselves and have fun along the way! Read my story.
Get comfortable and be sure to come hang out with me on social. Don’t grab your free fitness journal before you go!