The benefits of eating a healthy breakfast are well known; however, according to the International Food Information Council Foundation, while 93 percent of adults realize a healthy breakfast is key to a balanced diet, 56 percent skip breakfast. Don’t worry, I have a super simple vegan strawberry smoothie bowl recipe for you to enjoy below!
One reason many people skip breakfast is because of hectic morning schedules. Instead of skipping breakfast or reaching for calorie-laden prepackaged foods, try these fast and nutritious morning meals.
Why Eat Breakfast
Eating a breakfast high in fiber, complex carbohydrates, protein, and healthy fat helps to refuel the body’s glucose after an extended period of not eating, maintain or promote weight loss by boosting metabolism, keeps blood sugar level, sustains energy, and staves off hunger until lunchtime.
Breakfast eaters are more productive than those who skip breakfast and those who take the time to enjoy a healthy breakfast have more energy and better concentration.
Quick and Healthy Breakfast Ideas
Making healthy meals for breakfast is easy and takes only a few minutes. Some quick and healthy breakfasts include:
* Oatmeal topped with fresh fruit such as blueberries, raspberries or peaches and a few slivered almonds.
* Whole-wheat pancakes or waffles. These can be prepared in advance and frozen, then popped into the toaster just like the pre-packaged varieties. Instead of syrup, top waffles and pancakes with low-fat yogurt or natural peanut butter.
* Whole-grain cereals (hot or cold). Look for cereals that contain at least five grams of fiber per serving and avoid cereal that contain a lot of added sugar.
* Muffins made with whole-grain flour and a natural sweetener instead of sugar. These can be baked beforehand, stored in the freezer, and then warmed in the microwave or toaster oven.
* Scrambled eggs or an omelet prepared with eggs and chopped veggies such as bell peppers topped with an ounce of shredded cheese.
* Breakfast burrito made with a whole-wheat tortilla, scrambled eggs, and reduced fat shredded cheese.
* A fruit smoothie made with low-fat yogurt, skim milk, and any type of fresh or frozen fruit desired. Add a tablespoon of wheat germ for extra flavor and some healthy fat.
* French toast made with whole-grain bread and topped with blueberry compote.
* Breakfast sandwich made with an English muffin, turkey sausage or Canadian bacon, and an ounce of cheese.
* A peanut butter and banana sandwich made with toasted whole-grain bread.
* Low-fat cottage cheese topped with fresh fruit and a toasted whole-grain English muffin with natural peanut butter.
Although mornings are a busy time for most people, breakfast really is the most important meal of the day. A healthy, balanced breakfast is quick and easy to prepare by having a well-stocked kitchen and preparing certain foods ahead of time.
Vegan Strawberry Smoothie Bowl Recipe
- 2 cups frozen strawberries
- 2 cups your favorite vegan vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- Coconut flakes, for garnish
- Vegan white chocolate, for garnish
- 1 fresh strawberry, sliced, for garnish
- Place fresh blackberries on one side of your final bowl.
- In a second bowl, using an immersion blender or high-speed blender, combine frozen strawberries and ice cream until the mixture is creamy and smooth.
- Place strawberry mixture into the bowl next to the blackberries.
- Add coconut flakes, chocolate and/or strawberry slice on top.
For more easy recipes check out: