If you are looking for something warm and delicious check out this flavorful Instant Pot Texas Cowboy Stew! Super simple ingredients make this a super easy dish!
What is Texas Cowboy Stew?
Cowboy Stew is a type of simple, hearty chuck wagon stew common in the American Southwest. It is well known outside the region as one of Chuck Wagon Cooking’s “Four Standards”.
It contains beef or venison, often both, potatoes and vegetables such as onions, carrots and canned whole tomatoes (although fresh are also used) that are cooked until done then thickened using flour or cornstarch to produce a gravy like sauce.
Have you ever made this type of stew? Soups and stews in the Instant Pot are so fun to make! It’s as easy as dumping the ingredients in, setting it and forgetting it!
What is an Instant Pot?
A multi-cooker that combines the functions of a Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice/Porridge Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Cake/Egg Maker and Warmer. This saves space on your countertops and makes mealtime a breeze. Plus, clean up is super simple!
In this recipe I’ll show you how to make Texas Cowboy Stew from start to finish! Let’s get cooking!
What ingredients are in this amazing Texas Cowboy Stew?
• 1-pound ground beef
• 1 package kielbasa sliced sausage
• 1 tablespoon minced garlic
• 1/2 onion, diced
• 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
• 1 can Rotel
• 2 medium baking potatoes, diced
• 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
• 1 (15.2 ounce) can kernel corn, drained
• 1 can peas, drained
• 2 cups beef broth
• 2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 2 teaspoons chili powder
• salt and black pepper to taste
Super simple ingredients for a super flavorful hearty soup. This is a delicious comfort food that you will add to your easy soup recipes. You can serve this with a mexican cornbread as a yummy side dish. This delicious texas cowboy stew can be stored in an airtight container for leftovers the next day.
Enjoy this texas cowboy stew recipe and let me know how much you love this main dish.
What are the benefits of making Texas Cowboy Stew in the Instant Pot?
The Instant Pot is a great tool for making Texas Cowboy Stew because it can cook your stew quickly and evenly. It’s also incredibly easy to use, so you don’t have to worry about monitoring your food for hours as with traditional methods of cooking.
The Instant Pot seals in moisture and flavor, resulting in juicy, delicious meat that doesn’t require any additional seasonings or sauces.
Plus, it’s very energy efficient and can make a large quantity of stew in one go, so you’ll have plenty to feed your family and friends. With the Instant Pot, making Texas Cowboy Stew is a breeze!
What are some helpful tips for making Texas Cowboy Stew?
1. Use a good quality cut of beef, such as chuck roast or sirloin. This will ensure that your stew has plenty of flavor and will stay tender during the cooking process.
2. Start by browning the meat before adding it to the Instant Pot with the other ingredients. This helps to create a deeper flavor.
3. Make sure to use a good-quality beef broth or stock for maximum flavor.
4. Add plenty of vegetables, such as potatoes, onions, carrots, and celery. These will add texture and flavor to your stew.
5. Don’t forget the beans! Pinto or kidney beans are traditional in Texas Cowboy Stew, but you can use any type of beans that you like.
6. Let the stew rest for 10-15 minutes after cooking to allow it to thicken and absorb all of the flavors.
7. Serve with freshly baked cornbread and plenty of hot sauce or salsa for an extra kick!
Can you freeze Texas Cowboy Soup for later?
Yes, Texas Cowboy Stew can be frozen for up to three months. To freeze, allow the stew to cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container or freezer-safe bag. Label and date the package before placing in the freezer.
When you’re ready to eat, thaw the stew overnight in the refrigerator. Then, reheat it in a saucepan over medium-low heat until hot. Enjoy!
Note: If you don’t have an Instant Pot, Texas Cowboy Stew can also be made on the stovetop or in the oven. Just adjust the cooking times accordingly. The Instant Pot is the easiest and fastest way to make this flavorful dish. Happy cooking!
Can Texas Cowboy Stew be reheated?
Yes, you can easily reheat Texas Cowboy Stew. Place the stew in a saucepan over medium-low heat until it is thoroughly heated throughout. Alternatively, you can microwave individual portions of the stew in a covered microwavable container.
Instant Pot Texas Cowboy Stew
This super flavorful texas cowboy stew comes together in now time and it's great for a weeknight meal!
- • 1-pound ground beef
- • 1 package kielbasa sausage, sliced
- • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- • 1/2 onion, diced
- • 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- • 1 can Rotel
- • 2 medium baking potatoes, diced
- • 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- • 1 (15.2 ounce) can kernel corn, drained
- • 1 can peas, drained
- • 2 cups beef broth
- • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- • 2 teaspoons chili powder
- • salt and pepper to taste
- Set instant pot to sauté, once hot, add oil and onions. Sauté the onions for 5 minutes.
- Add ground beef and brown the meat.
- Once beef Is browned, add sliced sausage. Let cool for 2 minutes.
- Set instant pot to cancel
- Add remaining ingredients, stir to mix. Seal the lid and pressure valve. Cook on high pressure for 3 minutes.
- Quick release pressure and enjoy.
Amount Per Serving Calories 579Total Fat 32gSaturated Fat 11gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 18gCholesterol 112mgSodium 1413mgCarbohydrates 36gFiber 7gSugar 6gProtein 36g
Pin it for later!
If you enjoyed this recipe be sure to check out my Instagram Page for the latest posts!
Before you go, check out these great posts!
Easy Instant Pot Lasagna Soup
Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice Recipe For Dinner Tonight
Instant Pot Spicy Black Bean White Chicken Chili
Instant Pot General Tso Chicken
Instant Pot Beef Tomato Pasta Soup
Hi! I’m Nellie. I am a busy mama of three, wife to my high school sweetheart who loves to cook, workout and stay organized! I love to share helpful printables, the best recipes and fitness tips for the modern mom. I strongly believe that every mom can feed their family well, take proper care of themselves and have fun along the way! Read my story.
Get comfortable and be sure to come hang out with me on social. Don’t grab your free fitness journal before you go!
Wednesday 22nd of February 2023
Very tasty! We ended up also adding a can of black beans to double up on beans. Also not a fan o canned peas so added a cup of thawed frozen at the end. Boyfriend loved it. Will be making again! Thanks for sharing!
Thursday 16th of February 2023
I am from the Netherlands. Recipe looks good, but can you tell me what 'Rotel' is?
Wednesday 8th of March 2023
@Hennie, Rotel is basically diced tomatoes with green chilis added. :)
Friday 8th of April 2022
Can you send the recipe to my email please