One of the best things about cooking is that the opportunities for combinations and flavors are truly endless. I would just like to thank whoever decided to combine the flavors of cheese and garlic inside of potatoes because they are a winner in my book.
When it comes to sides, I am usually a rice and peas kind of girl, but lately I’ve been trying new things! I was raised on a lot of rice in my Caribbean household and we didn’t venture into much else. Occasionally we would do a pasta salad or macaroni and cheese but really we were a white rice or rice and peas on the side of everything kind of household.
It wasn’t until I started experimenting with cooking for my husband and family that I learned the amazingness of making mashed potatoes from scratch. I had always made them from the box and I can’t believe what a disservice I was doing for myself.
Once I made them on my own I realized that potatoes are such a fun blank canvas for so many different ingredients!
I am so excited to share these super fun crockpot mashed potatoes with cheddar and garlic with you today. We all know that mashed potatoes take a lot of hard work because you have to put a lot of elbow grease in the mashing.
Take the work out of mashed potatoes
The beauty about this recipe is that you can use the crockpot and let the slow cooker do all the work of making the potatoes soft. You mash all the ingredients together and voila! you now have an amazing cheesy mashed potatoes side dish.
Adding the cream in while mashing makes sure that you have the most perfect smooth consistency. These are great to make in the background of a big meal…like thanksgiving…or a fun dinner party. While these are in the slow cooker for 4 hours, you can do so many other things–or you can nap. It’s really up to you. 🙂
What are the best potatoes for mashed potatoes?
Try to get some of the high starch potatoes like Russet (aka Idaho potatoes) or Yukon, those definitely make the best and fluffiest mashed potatoes, anything outside of that may lead to pasty potatoes and no one has any time for that!
What goes good with mashed potatoes?
A super easy and yummy cheddar garlic mashed potatoes recipe perfect for any dinner party or family meal.
- 2.5 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into one-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ to ¾ cup heavy cream, warmed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Place the chopped potatoes in the bowl of the slow cooker and season with garlic, salt and pepper.
- Pour the chicken broth over the potatoes and toss to combine.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for four hours.
- When the potatoes are fork tender, add the butter and stir until melted.
- Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes. Stir to combine the potatoes and broth.
- Smooth the potatoes using a hand mixer or immersion blender, slowly adding the warm heavy cream as you blend. Continue adding cream until potatoes are smooth and creamy.
- Add the shredded cheese and stir to combine.