Home fitness fun 5 Awesome Yoga Resources For Runners

5 Awesome Yoga Resources For Runners

5 Awesome Yoga Resources For Runners

I am an admitted cardio addict. I also love the idea of yoga. Although I know it’s good for me I find it super difficult to slow things down and just stretch. However, I can’t deny how great Yoga is for my body.

Not that I am in the thick of marathon training, my body needs to be stretched and cared for more than ever! Yoga does two main things: builds strength and flexibility–those two things are crucial to becoming a better runner. Even though it is not my favorite, I try to make time for it and I am better for it every day.

I have compiled several expert resources that details which types of Yoga poses that are perfect for runners!

5 Awesome Yoga resources for Runners

1) WalkRunJog Blog: They have a FULL guide of Yoga Resources for runners that is broken down by body parts for example abs/Achilles/shoulders etc.

2) There are tons of yoga for runners resources on YouTube as well! I searched through a lot of them but this one was my favorite because it was 20 minutes and easy to fit in on my off days.

3) Yoga For Runners: Live Love Surf. In case you didn’t know Christine is one of my favorite Brooklyn girls with the best Instagram photos EVER. She is a runner and a certified Yoga instructor and she shared THREE separate posts on Yoga For Runners! Check out Post 1, Post 2 and Post 3!

4) Yoga For Runners 10 Ways to Stretch and Strengthen: This post recommends these poses as a way of stretching post run or post race. There are both descriptive poses and embedded video poses.

5) Elle Fit Active: This one has a great set of Yoga poses and pictures from really good angles. Simple and to the point!

[Tweet “5 Awesome #Yoga Resources for Runners! #runchat”]

How often do you Yoga?

Judy July 27, 2015 - 4:55 am

I try for at least 3 times a week – usually short sessions. I’m basically a sloth at heart so I <3 yoga. 🙂

And just guess what my blog pits tomorrow is about?

Janine Huldie July 27, 2015 - 5:30 am

This is a great list and definitely appreciate you sharing here with us 😉

Britt July 27, 2015 - 9:16 am

I love yoga but I often find it hard to fit in a whole session. I try to add in a few yoga moves to my barre and pilates classes and I do a lot of yogi instagram challenges to keep me doing at least one move a day. I constantly see classes aimed at runners because it is such a good balance for cardio. I haven’t seen these ones before though!

Carly July 27, 2015 - 4:03 pm

It’s so worth it to be doing yoga while you’re training, Nellie! It really makes a difference. Right now I do one class with Baby T a week (which is basically a couple do sun salutations and a few warrior poses, in between the nursing and the changing and the burping etc etc!) and maybe a 20 min class from YouTube (totally checking that one you shared out!). Once I’m less tethered to this little one, I want to commit to one real class a week and at least one practice at home every week, too.

Christine July 28, 2015 - 1:18 am

Thank you Nellie for sharing my posts!!

Tamara July 28, 2015 - 6:15 pm

When I first started reading this I instantly thought of Christine. Turns out so did you!
I’ve never done Yoga but I can tell you that I’ve been recommended it a lot.

Elle July 29, 2015 - 6:12 am

Thank you for the mention – they are definitely my go to poses for running.
Elle x

Leslie July 29, 2015 - 2:21 pm

Live Love Surf is a fantastic blog! We don’t do yoga around here, but I completely agree that it’s important to make sure you get some good stretching and other types of strength training in while training for a race!