I am super excited today to give the floor to my girl Joi! She is a pharmacist, a fitness instructor, a Georgia native and one of the hottest, most fabulous bloggers around! Her posts are extremely informative and helpful, and I look forward to her blog each day. Be sure to visit her at RX Fitness Lady, you won’t regret it!
Why I Love Les Mills BODYPUMP Original Barbell Weight Class
Hello there fans of Brooklyn Active Mama! I am thrilled to be a guest over here today for the first blogger that whole-heartedly welcomed me to blog land. I love reading this blog and hope that you all will enjoy this post today.
My name is Joi and I’m the blogger behind Rx Fitness Lady where the theme is “Live Healthy and Active. Be Prosperous.” I’m a pharmacist by profession and through my history as a collegiate athlete and passion for fitness I’ve become an Independent Fitness Professional as well. I like to serve as a role model for women and young girls, thus Rx Fitness Lady!
Nellie and I share a love for group fitness. One thing that women often neglect in their workouts is weight-bearing exercises. I chose to share with you how I get my weight bearing activities in for the week and why I love it.
Are images of insanely muscular body building women holding you back from lifting weights or doing a weight class?
I mean them no disrespect, but I, like most of you are not aiming to look like a heavy weight lifting champion.
I am by nature blessed with a fit physique. Without any training, I still look rather fit but not as toned as in the picture above.
Note the arms! This is why I frequently get compared to Angela Bassett. My main celebrity lookalikes however, are Serena Williams and Terri Vaughn (Lavita Alize Jenkins from the Steve Harvey Show).
What do you think?
What I most definitely have in common with all these fabulous ladies is I take care of my body and like to look good.
One of my favorite ways to do that is by teaching BODYPUMP classes twice a week and sometimes taking or teaching 1 additional class.
BODYPUMP is the original barbell workout that strengthens and tones your entire body by doing almost 800 reps across all the major muscle groups of the body.
WHY I LOVE IT
- You BURN CALORIES!
- I’ve learned to appreciate DIVERSE SELECTION OF MUSIC. When I was growing up, I only listened to gospel, rap, and R&B. Now I bob my head to everything in just about every store I go in because I recognize music for the masses.
- The Pharmacist in me has to share the health benefit for ladies and their future. It decreases the risk of OSTEOPOROSIS (condition in which a decrease in the density of bones weakens the bones and can lead to fractures)! Sorry a little bit of medical gibberish here
- Laymen’s terms: – You have STRONG BONES!
- You get more TONED not Bulky.
- You get STRONGER.
You get cardio benefits as well as the class is a full hour = BETTER ENDURANCE.
- INCREASED METABOLISM a major positive seeing as how women’s metabolism begins to decrease at age 20 by 2% each decade.
- ANYONE can do it at his or her own pace and weight selection.
- My favorite; It’s a GROUP EFFORT! Weights can be challenging and it’s motivating to do them with others while having an instructor guide you in safety and effective target ranges. Besides, who wants to finagle with the machines out on the floor?
Now that you know it’s important and some benefits. You can visit the Les Mills website to find a BODYPUMP class near you. You can find other barbell weight classes by asking the gyms in your area for just that (a barbell weight class).
As a BODYPUMP instructor, I’m a “warrior in the battle against sedentary lifestyle.” Please join me in the fight!
Rx Fitness Lady wants to know…
What do you do for weight bearing exercise & how often?
What are some reasons you don’t do weight bearing exercise?