This is the best Sweet Potato Biscuits recipe that you will ever try! A great recipe with simple ingredients for dinner and holiday events!
What are sweet potato biscuits?
Sweet potato biscuits are a type of biscuit (a small, quick bread) made with sweet potatoes. They are popular in the Southern United States, where they are often served as a side dish.
Sweet potato biscuits are usually made with a combination of flour, sugar, butter, milk, and baking powder. Some recipes also include spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, or ginger.
What is the difference between a biscuit and a scone?
Biscuits and scones are both quick breads, meaning they are made with baking soda or baking powder instead of yeast. They are also both usually made with flour, butter, milk, and sugar.
The main difference between biscuit and scone recipes is that biscuit recipes often include baking powder, while scone recipes generally do not.
Biscuits are also typically rolled out and cut into shapes, while scones are usually dropped or formed into rounds.
What is the history of sweet potato biscuits?
Sweet potato biscuits have been popular in the Southern United States since the early 1800s. Sweet potatoes were introduced to the region by African slaves, and they quickly became a staple food crop.
In the years after the Civil War, sweet potato biscuits became a popular dish among both black and white Southerners. They were often served with molasses or honey, and sometimes topped with nuts or fruit.
How do you make sweet potato biscuits?
To make sweet potato biscuits, you will need:
2 cups all-purpose flour, scooped and leveled (plus more for rolling)
2 tablespoons light-brown sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
6 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter
3/4 cup (1 baked) sweet potato, pureed, chilled
1/3 cup buttermilk
What equipment will you need to make these delicious biscuits?
Parchment Lined 8 inch round baking pan or pizza pan
Medium-large Mixing bowl
Measuring Cups and Spoons
Pastry Cutter or a Fork
2.5-3 inch cookie (biscuit) cutter
Non stick baking spray
What to serve with sweet potato biscuits?
There are many delicious things you can serve with these biscuits! Here are a few ideas:
Are sweet potato biscuits good for you?
Sweet potato biscuits are made with healthy ingredients like flour, sugar, butter, milk, and baking powder. However, they also contain some fat and calories, so they should be eaten in moderation.
Sweet potato biscuits are a good source of fiber and vitamins A and C. They can also be a part of a healthy diet when served with low-fat toppings like honey or fruit.
The Best Sweet Potato Biscuits Recipe
These amazing sweet potato biscuits are great for holidays or anytime!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, scooped and leveled (plus more for rolling)
- 2 tablespoons light-brown sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup (1 baked) sweet potato, pureed, chilled
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 425
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- Grate cold/frozen butter into the dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl, blend sweet potato puree and buttermilk;
- Stir quickly into flour mixture until combined (do not overmix-can cause the butter milk to curdle).
- The dough will still be shaggy, it will come together when you knead it.
- Knead the dough, 8-10 times on a lightly floured surface.
- Shape into a disk.
- Roll out to about 1 inch thickness.
- Cut the biscuits very close to one another, place inside of a round parchment lined pan sprayed with baking spray.
- Gather all scraps, fold onto one another, cut out more biscuits.
- Do not do this more than once, or they will be tough.
- Brush biscuits with melted butter
- Place in the oven and bake for 20-24 mins
- Serve warm and enjoy.
- Canned or fresh sweet potatoes can be used. Baking them gives the most flavor (you can do this the night before and chill it over night). It's easier to remove the skin.
- I grate frozen butter for all biscuit recipes. This makes them really flaky but you can chop the butter into pea sized pieces
- I always turn baked goods in the oven at least once to ensure even baking.
Amount Per Serving Calories 176Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 19mgSodium 329mgCarbohydrates 25gFiber 1gSugar 3gProtein 3g
Pin it for later!
If you enjoyed this recipe be sure to check out my Instagram Page for the latest posts!
Before you go, check out these great posts!
Easy Sausage Egg and Cheese Biscuits – Breakfast To Go Recipes
The Best Cheesesteak Empanadas Recipe
Creative and Delicious Sweet Potato Recipes For Any Occasion
Southern Sweet Potato Casserole With Crunchy Pecan Topping
Amazing Brown Butter Sweet Potato Pie For Dessert
Hi! I’m Nellie. I am a busy mama of three, wife to my high school sweetheart who loves to cook, workout and stay organized! I love to share helpful printables, the best recipes and fitness tips for the modern mom. I strongly believe that every mom can feed their family well, take proper care of themselves and have fun along the way! Read my story.
Get comfortable and be sure to come hang out with me on social. Don’t grab your free fitness journal before you go!