I’m not sure if there is anything better than soup on a cold (or even a cold-ish) day. A really delicious soup somehow makes everything better. Today I’m sharing a great recipe for roasted tomato soup, a classic that is made with love and has incredible flavor!
It took me a long time to love soup. Even though everyone around me ate it all the time, I never really discovered the greatness of soup until I was a fully grown adult.
Making Soup Can Be Intimidating!
For a while I thought that soup was super intimidating. How do you get the perfect soup consistency? How do I get the flavors to blend perfectly? Even though I have been cooking from a young age, soup was one of the only things to greatly intimidate me.
I’d try soup everywhere. The Caribbean soups, the soups from Hale and Hearty (an amazing local chain), and pretty much everywhere else. I was able to appreciate the magic of soup from afar but never ever my own kitchen.
Then I tried a simple recipe. Kept my eye on the pot, and watched magic happen. I’ve been hooked ever since, but gadgets such as the instant pot have made soup making way less intimidating.
This Roasted Tomato Soup recipe is a classic and great for weeknight meals that will warm you right up. It is made above the stove from actual roasted tomatoes and the perfect blend of spices.
What Do You Serve with Tomato Soup?
I would recommend the classic grilled cheese sandwich! If that is too much a crusty slice of sourdough bread works perfectly too! If you are looking for some fancy grilled cheese options check out this amazing 12 grilled Cheese options to pair with Tomato Soup.
How do you make this Roasted Tomato Soup?
Make sure you get some amazing ripe tomatoes for this recipe! You will be roasting the tomatoes by baking them and also roasting the garlic.
You will need a blender to puree the soup for the perfect consistency. Remember to NEVER fill the blender more than halfway and also be sure to blend with a hand towel on top for security.
See the full recipe below — Enjoy!
A super yummy roasted tomato soup that is guaranteed to warm you right up. Serve with your favorite grilled cheese recipe and you are good to go!
- 3 lbs plum tomatoes, approximately 12 tomatoes
- 1 head garlic
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- two onions, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4-5 cups vegetable broth (can use water)
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Grease or line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Clean your tomatoes and cut each in quarters. Place cut side up on your baking sheet.
- Cut the top and bottom off of your garlic bulb and place in the middle of the pan.
- Roast the tomatoes for 25 minutes until skins are browned or blackened.
- You can peel the tomatoes two ways: allow to cool and the skins will come off easily, or while hot place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap for 3 minutes, then peel. Set tomatoes aside and discard skins.
- Remove the skin from the garlic head and discard the skin, keeping the garlic.
- Place the olive oil in a large soup pot and heat over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onions and saute for 2 minutes until translucent. Add the softened garlic, spices and tomato paste.
- Heat until fragrant, then add the tomatoes and broth.
- Increase heat to high until boiling, then reduce to a simmer. Continue simmering for 20 minutes.
- In batches, puree the soup until smooth. Do not fill your blender higher than halfway and cover the top with the lid and a kitchen towel.
- Return the pureed soup to the pan and taste. Adjust the spices and cook another 2 minutes to rewarm.
Looking for more soups?
Hi! I’m Nellie. I am a busy mama of three, wife to my high school sweetheart who loves to cook, workout and stay organized! I love to share helpful printables, the best recipes and fitness tips for the modern mom. I strongly believe that every mom can feed their family well, take proper care of themselves and have fun along the way! Read my story.
Get comfortable and be sure to come hang out with me on social. Don’t grab your free fitness journal before you go!