Yoga Routines For Beginners
I have a super strong love hate relationship with yoga. I am not the most flexible person in the world so when I attend a yoga class I am likely to be the one giving the instructor the side eye that is clearly transmitting “that pose is NOT going to happen today”. I often envy my friends that are so good at yoga because I am a person who loves to constantly move. Yoga forces me to stay still and breathe. Today I am sharing 5 Yoga Routines For Beginners.
Although I went through a hot yoga obsession about 3 years ago, my yoga practice is quite inconsistent. One thing that I know for sure is that whenever I DO practice, I feel like a million bucks and my body is so thankful for the work. Funny enough, my favorite pose is not shavasana, it’s actually the pigeon pose. The actual pose is quite painful for me because I run a lot and sit a lot, so releasing the tension from my hips feels incredible.
As much as I know that I need yoga in my life you would think that I would practice more often. I don’t. I decided to create a list for the busy mom that may not have time for a yoga class but maybe have small pockets of the day to get your yoga on at home. I can definitely confirm that I sleep WAY better when I stretch–even if it’s for just a couple of minutes!!
Navigating Yoga at Home for Beginners
The practice of yoga boasts both physical and mental benefits, making it a popular choice for many individuals looking to improve their overall well-being. For beginners, starting yoga at home can be an ideal choice due to its convenience, comfort, and the flexibility it offers in terms of pacing. Here’s a guide to embark on your home-based yoga journey:
- Understand the Basics of Yoga:
- Before delving deep, familiarize yourself with the basic philosophy behind yoga. It’s not just physical postures; it’s also about breathing, mindfulness, and a deeper connection with oneself.
- Choose the Right Space:
- Designate a quiet, comfortable spot in your home free from disturbances. Ensure the space is clean, airy, and has enough room for you to stretch and move freely. A good yoga mat is a worthy investment.
- Select the Right Resources:
- Online Platforms: There are myriad online platforms offering free and paid yoga sessions. YouTube has countless beginner yoga tutorials.
- Apps: Consider downloading yoga apps designed specifically for beginners.
- Books: If you prefer a more traditional approach, there are many well-reviewed yoga books detailing postures, sequences, and philosophies.
- Start Slow:
- Begin with basic postures, or ‘asanas,’ such as the mountain pose, child’s pose, and downward-facing dog. Focus on understanding each pose’s alignment and its purpose.
- Remember, yoga is not about how far you can stretch but how deeply you can connect.
- Focus on Breathing:
- Pranayama, or breath control, is a vital part of yoga. Learn basic breathing exercises, such as diaphragmatic breathing and alternate nostril breathing. Incorporate these into your practice.
- Establish a Routine:
- Consistency is key. Designate specific days and times for your yoga practice. Whether it’s 10 minutes or an hour, what matters is making it a regular part of your routine.
- Listen to Your Body:
- Yoga should never be painful. If a pose feels uncomfortable or strains a particular body part, adjust or skip it. Use props like pillows, straps, or blocks to aid your practice and make certain poses more accessible.
- Mix It Up:
- Once you get comfortable with basic poses, challenge yourself by trying different yoga styles (like Hatha, Vinyasa, or Yin) or incorporating new postures.
- Stay Patient and Positive:
- Progress in yoga is a personal journey, and it might be slower for some. Celebrate small milestones and stay positive. Remember, every yogi started as a beginner.
- Seek Guidance When Needed:
- While practicing yoga at home offers flexibility, don’t hesitate to attend a few in-person classes if you can. This allows for real-time feedback from seasoned instructors, ensuring your postures and practices are correct.
Doing yoga at home as a beginner can be a rewarding experience. It provides the freedom to explore the practice at your own pace and in your comfort zone. With the right resources, commitment, and patience, you’ll find yourself deepening not only your physical practice but also your connection with your inner self. Enjoy the journey of self-exploration and well-being that yoga brings!
Check out some great Yoga Routines for Beginners below and find your OM!
More Fun Yoga Posts:
- Yoga & Meal Planning Ideas with Celeb Yoga Expert Kristin McGee
- 5 Reasons Why Curvy Yoga Is Completely Inspiring
- 5 Awesome Yoga Resources For Runners
- Rooftop Yoga with Shoebuy
How often do you do yoga? Are you flexible?
Hi! I’m Nellie. I am a busy mama of three, wife to my high school sweetheart who loves to cook, workout and stay organized! I love to share helpful printables, the best recipes and fitness tips for the modern mom. I strongly believe that every mom can feed their family well, take proper care of themselves and have fun along the way! Read my story.
Get comfortable and be sure to come hang out with me on social. Don’t grab your free fitness journal before you go!