These philly cheesesteak stuffed peppers are so great for a weeknight dinner! Full of flavor and a great low carb alternative to the sandwich!
What are stuffed peppers?
Stuffed peppers are a classic dish that is typically made with rice, ground beef, and tomato sauce. They are then baked in the oven until the peppers are tender.
These philly cheesesteak stuffed peppers are a great low carb alternative to the classic dish. They are packed with flavor and will be sure to please even the pickiest of eaters!
Where did stuffed peppers originate?
Stuffed peppers are believed to have originated in the United States. The dish has been around for centuries and was originally made with green bell peppers.
What is the difference between a green pepper and a bell pepper?
Green peppers and bell peppers are actually the same type of pepper. The difference is that bell peppers are allowed to ripen on the vine longer than green peppers, which is why they are typically sweeter in taste.
What kind of peppers should I use for stuffed peppers?
You can use any type of pepper that you like for stuffed peppers. However, bell peppers tend to work best because they are larger in size and have a sweeter flavor.
Can I make stuffed peppers ahead of time?
Yes, you can make these philly cheesesteak stuffed peppers ahead of time. Simply prepare the peppers and filling as directed. Then, cover and refrigerate until you are ready to bake them.
What can you serve with these philly cheesesteak stuffed peppers?
What is the best way to store leftover stuffed peppers?
Leftover stuffed peppers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
If you are looking for a delicious and easy weeknight meal, then you have to try these philly cheesesteak stuffed peppers!
Looking for more Philly Cheesesteak recipes? Check these out!
These easy philly cheesesteak stuffed peppers are great for a weeknight meal!
- 4 Bell peppers (any color)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 8 oz mushrooms, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic
- 1 pound sirloin steak, sliced thin
- 12-14 slices provolone cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Slice the peppers in half, remove the seeds (rinse if necessary)
- Lightly season with salt and pepper
- Place in baking dish and cook for 30 mins uncovered
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add the onion and mushrooms with half of the seasonings
- Sauté until soft (about 5-7 mins), stirring occasionally.
- Remove the onions and mushrooms once soft
- Add the steak to the pan, applying the remaining seasonings to the meat.
- Add more olive oil if necessary (if meat is sticking)
- Brown fully, add the mushrooms and onions back to the pan and toss it all together.
- Set it aside once cooked through.
- After peppers have finished remove them from the oven.
- Place a slice of provolone in the bottom of the cup, top with steak filling, cover with another piece of cheese
- Return to the oven and cook until bubbly (5-10 mins)
Amount Per Serving Calories 737Total Fat 50gSaturated Fat 24gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 21gCholesterol 172mgSodium 1241mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 3gSugar 6gProtein 58g
Pin it for later!
If you enjoyed this recipe be sure to check out my Instagram Page for the latest posts!
Before you go, check out these great posts!