Christmas Lights Cupcakes: The Perfect Holiday Treat
Imagine a cupcake that captures the essence of the holiday season. A fluffy, moist base topped with creamy white frosting, adorned with a string of Christmas lights made from colorful M&M’s and black gel writing.
These Christmas Lights Cupcakes are not just a feast for the eyes but also a delicious treat that will light up your Christmas party dessert table.
What type of cupcakes should I use?
You can use store-bought cupcakes or make your own from a box mix. Just follow the box instructions for the perfect base.
Can I use homemade frosting?
Absolutely! While a canister of white frosting works great, you can also whip up the best vanilla buttercream frosting using heavy cream, vanilla extract, and icing sugar.
What’s the role of the black gel writing?
The black gel writing or black icing serves to create the “wire” for your string of Christmas lights on top of the cupcakes.
Tips and Tricks
- Piping Bag: Use a piping bag with a large round tip for a smoother frosting application.
- Dry and Wet Ingredients: If you’re making cupcakes from scratch, always mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients in separate bowls before combining.
- Electric Mixer: For the best frosting, use an electric mixer to achieve stiff peaks.
- Green Frosting: Swap out white frosting for green to mimic a Christmas tree.
- Chocolate Cupcakes: Use a chocolate cake mix box for a richer base.
- Mini M&M: Use mini M&M’s for smaller, more delicate lights.
Where to Serve
These cupcakes are perfect for Christmas parties, holiday cupcakes bake sales, and even as a fun project for a day of Christmas cookies baking.
Store any leftover cupcakes in an airtight container. For longer storage, you can also use freezer bags.
Common Problems and How to Avoid Them
- Soggy Cupcake Liners: Make sure to cool the cupcakes on a wire rack before frosting.
- Runny Frosting: If your frosting is too runny, add more powdered sugar or chill it for a bit.
- Uneven Black Line: When drawing the black line for the string of lights, keep a steady hand for a thin line.
Tips for Making This Recipe with Kids
- Safety First: Ensure that kids are supervised, especially when using an electric mixer.
- Decorating Process: Let the kids take charge of placing the M&M’s as Christmas lights. It’s a fun activity that boosts their creativity.
- Cupcake Cases: Use colorful cupcake cases to make the process even more exciting for kids.
- Brown Sugar: For a different texture, sprinkle some brown sugar on top of the white frosting.
- Peanut Butter: A dollop of peanut butter can add a nutty twist.
- Sour Cream: For a tangy kick, add a small dollop of sour cream on top of each cupcake.
Why This Recipe Works
- Simplicity: Using a box mix and store-bought frosting makes this recipe incredibly easy.
- Customizable: From the choice of cupcake to the type of frosting, this recipe is highly customizable.
- Fun Factor: Inspired by viral TikTok baker Lindsey, these cupcakes are not just delicious but also a fun project, making them the perfect holiday dessert idea.
There you have it! A full recipe for making the most delightful Christmas Lights Cupcakes this holiday season.
Here are some more fun Christmas Cupcakes:
- Mickey Mouse Disney Christmas Cupcakes For The Holidays
- Easy and Fun Santa Hat Christmas Cupcakes
- 20+ Incredible Christmas Cupcake Recipes + Free Printable Cupcake Toppers
- Christmas Tree Chocolate Cupcakes – Using Cake Mix!
- Festive Christmas Tree Cupcakes Recipe
These super cute cupcakes are so good and easy to make for the holiday season!
- Christmas Light Cupcakes Ingredients:
- 12 premade / store bought or box mix cupcakes - white 1 canister white frosting
- Black gel writing
- m&m’s of various colors
- Store bought or homemade vanilla cupcakes bake according to directions and cool
- Using a large tip, fill a piping bag with store bought frosting.
- Frost each cupcake in a swirl upward motion.
- Using the black gel create a “string”
- Add colored m&m’s to create “lights”
Amount Per Serving Calories 75Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 3mgSodium 49mgCarbohydrates 11gFiber 0gSugar 9gProtein 1g
Before you go, grab Your Free Printable Recipe Kit!
Write down your favorite recipes and create your own personal cookbook of your favorite food creations!
Hi! I’m Nellie. I am a busy mama of three, wife to my high school sweetheart who loves to cook, workout and stay organized! I love to share helpful printables, the best recipes and fitness tips for the modern mom. I strongly believe that every mom can feed their family well, take proper care of themselves and have fun along the way! Read my story.
Get comfortable and be sure to come hang out with me on social. Don’t grab your free fitness journal before you go!