Served for breakfast or as a dessert for generations, Apple Dumplings are a delicious blend of fruit and sweet flavors rolled up in a pastry shell. If you’re looking for a simple spin on traditional Apple Dumplings, save this recipe!
Mentioned in history as far back as the 1700s, Apple Dumplings have been around for ages. Tons of variations exist for this time-honored dish. This particular recipe has a warm lemon sauce to pour over the baked dumplings.
My Apple Dumplings recipe calls for refrigerated pie crusts, which saves you time since you don’t have to make the dough from scratch! You will need a rolling pin and a ruler to create the seven even squares for each dumpling, though.
Apple Dumplings are simple, delicious, and a perfect individual portion for any occasion. Each portion gets an entire apple smothered in brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon zest, and butter then encased in a dough square and baked to perfection.
Topped with lemon sauce, the flavors will be tart, sweet, and incredibly tasty!
What You Need For Apple Dumplings
Refrigerated Pie Crusts
Granny Smith Apples – this particular type of apple tends to hold its form well during baking, plus the tart flavor is a perfect balance with the sweetness of the dessert.
Egg White – used to seal the dough around the apple.
What You Need for Lemon Sauce to Pour Over Apple Dumplings
Apple Dumplings are delicious on their own, but also pair well with vanilla ice cream or cool whip. Or, if you’re feeling adventurous, top your dumplings with both!
Follow the recipe card for complete instructions! I’d love to hear what you think of the recipe. Leave me some feedback!
Easy Apple Dumplings
These easy apple dumplings with homemade lemon sauce are so good and the most perfect dessert!
- • 4 – 9 inch refrigerated pie crusts (usually 2 boxes)
- • 7 med. Granny Smith apples (peeled and cored)
- • 6 tbsp butter (softened)
- • 1 c light brown sugar
- • ¾ tsp cinnamon spice
- • ⅛ tsp nutmeg spice
- • 1 tsp lemon zest
- • 1 lg egg white (beaten)
- Lemon Sauce
- • 1 c granulated sugar
- • 8 tsp corn starch
- • 2 c water (cold)
- • 6 tbsp butter
- • 3 tbsp lemon juice
- • 1 tbsp lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Using a non-stick cooking spray or butter, grease a 13x9 inch baking pan.
- Combine brown sugar, spices, lemon zest and butter. Fill the cavity of each apple with the mixture. Any leftover filling can be pressed around the outside of the apples.
- On a lightly-floured surface, roll out each pie crust circle slightly.
- Measure and cut a 7-inch square from each crust. This measurement is approximate. If you have something in your kitchen that is approximately that size, you can use it as a template.
- Repeat with remaining pie crusts. Re-roll leftover dough and repeat until you have your seven squares.
- Place your filled apples in the center of each square. Lightly brush the edges of each dough square with the egg white and fold up over apples, pleating and sealing to dough.
- Place dumplings in your prepared pan, not allowing them to touch each other.
- Bake on the center rack of your oven for approx. 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove pan to a baking rack to cool. Spoon sauce over dumplings to serve.
- Combine water, cornstarch and sugar. Stir until smooth and heat over medium heat until it comes to a boil. Boil until it thickens, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add butter, lemon juice and lemon zest. Stir to mix. Serve warm over dumplings.
If you loved these apple dumplings be sure to try out these other apple treats!
Cinnamon Apple Pie Cups: Easy and Fun Treats
Scrumptious Air Fryer Apple Fritters Recipe
Easy & Old Fashioned Apple Crisp Recipe!
Super Simple and Delicious Apple Cinnamon Muffins
The Most Perfect French Apple Cake Recipe
Hi! I’m Nellie. I am a busy mama of three, wife to my high school sweetheart who loves to cook, workout and stay organized! I love to share helpful printables, the best recipes and fitness tips for the modern mom. I strongly believe that every mom can feed their family well, take proper care of themselves and have fun along the way! Read my story.
Get comfortable and be sure to come hang out with me on social. Don’t grab your free fitness journal before you go!