Home weightlifting 5 Practical Reasons Why All Women Should Be Lifting Weights

5 Practical Reasons Why All Women Should Be Lifting Weights

5 Reasons why you should be lifting weights

5 Practical Reasons Why All Women Should Be Lifting Weights

When I started working out at a real gym when I was in college, I was terrified of weights. In my old gym the fancy elliptical, treadmills and other cardiovascular equipment was located on the first two floors. There was a weights room in the basement that was filled with an insane amount of barbells, free weights and other resistance machines.

I was always too scared to venture downstairs…I took a peek one time and all I saw were humongous men who were grunting really loudly and slamming weights on the floor when they were finished.

It was terrifying.

LiftWeights!

So I stayed on my cardiovascular machines secretly afraid of all that was happening in that basement and prayed I would never have to go down there.

Then I met my first personal trainer. He told me that in order to pull off the sexy drop dead shoulders I wanted for my strapless princess wedding gown, I would have to get over my fear of the weight room. He taught me how to use each machine, even those that I was sure was not meant for women to use. In short, I was hooked.

When I explain to my friends how awesome lifting is, I usually get a side eye or maybe even a chuckle because a lot of women generally do not lift weights. Here are 5 reasons why all women (including you) should be lifting weights several times a week.CITY OF ANGELS

1. Lose weight while you sleep: When you break down muscle with resistance training your body needs energy (read: calories) to build them back up. Even for hours after you leave the gym,ย  your body is still working hard burning calories! How awesome is that?!

2. Tones and tightens: Losing weight is awesome,ย  but when you lose a lot of weight without incorporating weight training you tend to have a lot more excess skin than you would if you lifted through out. Besides you won’t get guns or amazing legs without it!

3. Gym Cred: Do you know how good it looks when a woman is in the weights area and knows exactly what they are doing? You are respected, not only by terrified women like I was, but by the men too! Make room fellas, this is no longer a boys club!

4. Improves Cardio Performance: Most people don’t realize that you have to cross train to get better at any activity such as running, swimming, biking etc. The awesome part? If you do resistance training you are only making your self stronger therefore making you better at what you do. You run faster, swim faster, bike faster and stronger!

5. You Encourage Other Women: Being a woman that knows what she is doing is encouraging to other women too scared to try. You become an advocate for women’s strength training. There are so many of us that are so intimidated by the sheer amount of testosterone that hangs out by the weights area. Your session may inspire a Cardio bunny or two to jump off the elliptical.

[Tweet “Check out 5 great reasons why YOU should be lifting weights!”]

Do you lift weights regularly? Are you a cardio bunny? if you do lift weights do you follow a plan or wing it?

Kristina Walters January 20, 2015 - 5:39 am

Yes!! You know I do! I totally agree! I love the feeling I get after I have a good strength training session. A lot of people don’t realize that it’s an amazing cardio workout too. Thanks for bringing this to everyone’s attention!

Janine Huldie January 20, 2015 - 6:09 am

These are great reasons, especially number one as who doesn’t want to lose weight in their sleep?! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Allie January 20, 2015 - 6:11 am

You are preaching to the choir!! I have to say that lifting weights is my least favorite workout BUT, it’s essential for maintaining good running form and improving strength and overall balance. Plus, those boys need to just get out of the way!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Leah January 20, 2015 - 7:11 am

Lose weight while I sleep is awesome!! I actually don’t mind lifting weights, and it was always my preference when I went to the gym. Now time is even tighter but we have free weights at home — right by the TV so it’s easy to grab and just do a few sets. Every little thing counts!

Janelle January 20, 2015 - 7:24 am

You’ve nailed it! We need more women lifting! I started doing the workouts on Nike Training App and it’s really boosted my confidence about working with weights. It’s sooo good for you!

Diane January 20, 2015 - 8:46 am

These are all awesome reasons and I love #5. In my gym, I’m one of about 3 women who lifts weights and usually the only one in the weight room. I was doing cable machine kickbacks one day and a lady approached me and asked what I was doing, and then she tried herself! She was hooked and I often see her in the weight room without fear. Sometimes all it takes is a fellow female to give you the courage the try and feel comfortable. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Kita January 20, 2015 - 9:02 am

The hubs just said this to me the other day. You are losing weight but you need to do something with with toning…my tummy….horrible. I need to be toning and stuff so that excess skin doesn’t look bad. Now let’s get to the real deal….losing weight while sleeping say whaaaaaa.

Carly January 20, 2015 - 11:40 am

Well, you know I am in COMPLETE agreement here Nellie!! Great post and some awesome reasons for women to lift. Did you know that one of the other effects of lifting weights for women is an increase in self esteem? ๐Ÿ™‚

Sherelle ( January 20, 2015 - 12:13 pm

I’ve been lifting weights with my hubby for the past 2-3 months. I started on Jamie Eason’s 12-week program (off & on), which requires weight lifting for the majority of her plan. I’ve been doing that twice a week. I was so weak when I first started, and now I can lift pretty good! I wish more workout plans for women called for more weight lifting versus all the cardio.

Rea January 20, 2015 - 12:53 pm

What an interesting read! I don’t need to lose weight though because I’m on the skinny side of the spectrum but I do need toning and I want to stay healthy too. Lifting weights is pretty cool. Do they have one for me who hasn’t even reached 50kg? ๐Ÿ™‚

Kim January 20, 2015 - 3:04 pm

I love all of these reasons!!! I didn’t start really lifting until about 10 years ago and now I can’t imagine giving it up!!

Leslie January 20, 2015 - 7:29 pm

Weight training is critical to success! Another benefit: personal pride. When you realize you need to up your weights to a level you never thought youโ€™d achieveโ€ฆthatโ€™s the best feeling.

Tamara January 20, 2015 - 9:39 pm

I think losing weight while sleeping is a huge selling point, but of course the health and emotional benefits seem huge.

LaShawn January 21, 2015 - 7:19 am

I know I know!!! I have to get started again. But I’m shy……

Britt January 21, 2015 - 9:27 am

When I was in college our gym was in an L shape with the cardio on one side and weights on the other. It was like the gym was split into boys and girls sides. Bodypump is really what changed my mind about weights. I love that class!

K. Elizabeth (YUMMommy) January 24, 2015 - 1:43 am

I definitely need to get better at lifting weights. I was really consistent about doing so during my high school track days and then I just fell off the wagon.

Jennifer lefforge January 24, 2015 - 9:45 am

Years ago I was in the gym all the time, but since I took up distance running I just haven’t made the time. This is so encouraging to me! I’ve got to get back in the gym!

Nancy January 24, 2015 - 3:19 pm

Lifting weights is all I ever do these days. Cardio bores the crap out of me. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jenn January 24, 2015 - 9:19 pm

You bet I lift, Nellie! After losing 100 pounds, I need to tighten it up. I was never a big runner (or a small one

7 Beginner Strength Training Workouts - Brooklyn Active Mama April 6, 2015 - 4:26 am

[…] the message about how important Strength Training is to every body (especially women)! I gave you plenty of reasons why you should be lifting weights and I have been increasing my own weight training and feeling incredibly stronger as a […]

Joanna October 24, 2016 - 11:08 am

I don’t lift..at all, but this was an interesting read. I just started going to the gym so I’m going to create a schedule that incorporates weights.