Get ready for these incredible Valentine Puff Pastry Hearts. These elegant desserts, with their flaky layers of buttery puff pastry, are filled with a rich cream cheese mixture and a sweet strawberry filling, then dusted with powdered sugar for the perfect finish. Ideal for Valentine’s Day, these puff pastry hearts are not just a delicious dessert but a symbol of love and care.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can I make my own puff pastry? A: Yes, you can make your own puff pastry, but using store-bought puff pastry sheets is a huge time-saver and ensures consistent flaky texture.
Q: What other fillings can I use? A: Feel free to get creative! Nutella, raspberry jam, or even peanut butter make great alternatives. Just ensure they have a spreadable consistency and won’t leak during baking.
Q: How do I store these puff pastry hearts? A: Store them in an airtight container. They are best enjoyed within a day or two, as the pastry loses its crispness over time.
- Puff Pastry Sheet
- Cream Cheese
- Powdered Sugar
Where to Serve
Valentine Puff Pastry Hearts are perfect for special occasions like Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, or as an elegant dessert at a dinner party. They pair wonderfully with hot chocolate or a glass of wine, making them a versatile choice for various settings.
Keep the puff pastry hearts in an airtight container. They can be stored at room temperature if consumed the same day, or in the refrigerator for freshness. Note that the pastry may lose some of its crispness over time.
Tips for Making This Recipe with Kids
- Let kids use the heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut the puff pastry dough.
- They can help mix the cream cheese filling in a large bowl or layer the strawberry filling.
- Encourage them to dust the baked hearts with powdered sugar for a fun, finishing touch.
Why This Recipe Works
- Ease of Preparation: Utilizing store-bought puff pastry sheets and simple ingredients, this recipe is an easy valentine’s day treat that requires little work but delivers big on flavor.
- Versatility: You can customize the fillings according to preference, making them a hit for everyone.
- Kid-Friendly: It’s a fun recipe to involve kids in, from cutting out shapes with a heart cookie cutter to assembling the layers.
- Visual Appeal: The heart shape and golden brown color of these puff pastry cookies make them not just a treat for the palate but also a feast for the eyes.
The Valentine Puff Pastry Hearts Recipe
Start by thawing your puff pastry sheet to room temperature. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the puff pastry dough and use a heart cookie cutter to cut out heart shapes. For the fillings, blend cream cheese, egg, and powdered sugar for a creamy mixture, and cook strawberries, water, sugar, and cornstarch for a sweet strawberry filling.
Place half of the heart shapes on a parchment-lined baking sheet or cookie sheet. Spoon the fillings onto the center, leaving room around the edges. Cover them with the remaining heart shapes, sealing the opposite sides with a little water. Make small slits on top for steam to escape, brush with beaten egg for a golden finish, and bake in a preheated oven until they’re puffed and golden brown.
Serve these flaky, buttery puff pastry hearts as a sweet treat that’s sure to win hearts. Whether it’s for a special occasion or an easy weekend treat, these Valentine Puff Pastry Hearts are a delightful way to spread love and sweetness.
Here are some more fun Valentine’s Day Treats:
Valentine Puff Pastry Hearts are a delightful and elegant dessert, featuring flaky pastry filled with sweet cream cheese and strawberry. Perfect for special occasions, they're a visually stunning and delicious treat that's sure to impress.
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- Cream Cheese Filling
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Strawberry Filling
- ⅔ cup diced strawberries
- ¼ cup water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cornstarch
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, add the diced strawberries, water, sugar and cornstarch.
- Mix together and cook over medium heat until it begins to boil and thicken. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, add the cream cheese and egg, blending until smooth with a hand mixer.
- Then add in the powdered sugar and blend again until combined.
- On a clean surface, roll out your puff pastry dough.
- Use a heart shaped cookie cutter to cut out heart shaped pastries in the dough.
- Transfer the puff pastry hearts to the prepared baking sheet.
- Scoop a teaspoonful of the cream cheese mixture in the center of each heart. Spread evenly with only about ¼ inch of the edge of the puff pastry heart not covered.
- Then scoop a small teaspoonful of the strawberry mixture on top of the cream cheese layer. Slightly spread into a heart shape.
- Repeat this with the rest of the puff pastry and then place in the oven.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes or until the dough is puffy and the edges of the puff pastry are lightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and dust with powdered sugar. Let cool for at least 5 minutes and then serve!
Amount Per Serving Calories 162Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 33mgSodium 60mgCarbohydrates 25gFiber 0gSugar 22gProtein 2g
Before you go, grab Your Free Printable Recipe Kit!
Write down your favorite recipes and create your own personal cookbook of your favorite food creations!
Hi! I’m Nellie. I am an entrepreneur, a busy mama of 3 and a wife to my high school sweetheart. I have been sharing content for over 12 years about how to cook easy recipes, workout tips and free printables that make life a little bit easier. I have been featured in places like Yahoo, Buzzfeed, What To Expect, Mediavine, Niche Pursuits, HuffPost, BabyCenter, Mom 2.0, Mommy Nearest, Parade, Care.com, and more!
Get comfortable and be sure to come hang out with me on social. Don’t forget to grab your free fitness journal before you go!