Have you ever wondered about how to make tasty chicken tenders from scratch? These homemade crispy chicken tenders are so good and easy to make!
Crispy Chicken Fried Chicken Tenders
My kids tastes have varied over the years. One minute they love something and can’t get enough of it and the next minute they look at it as if it were the most disgusting thing ever.
I literally can’t keep up.
One thing that has been consistent though is their love for chicken tenders. I think I can safely say that if there was a vote for most favorite food, kids would vote for chicken tenders and French fries.
It’s so popular that you can find it on most restaurant menus. It’s so convenient and it helps even the pickiest child feel comforted.
These chicken tenderloins are best served with a yummy honey mustard sauce or even this easy copycat Chick-Fil-A sauce. Whatever your favorite dipping sauce is, this juicy chicken will be the star!
Today I am giving you a simple recipe for baked homemade crispy chicken tenders. You will make these all the time! (The frozen ones won’t compare!) The best part is that you can get all of these easy ingredients at the grocery store. No deep fryer or hot oil needed for these crispy chicken strips. The crispy coating for these delicious chicken tenders is the great thing about this recipe!
The secret ingredient in this easy recipe makes the crispiest fried chicken! This recipe makes the best chicken tenders with an awesome crispy crust.
What ingredients are in these homemade baked chicken tenders?
Chicken Tender Ingredients
1 cup flour (all purpose, gluten free etc)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 tsp Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper 3 large eggs
5 cups tangy bbq chips, crushed – this is the game changer! It adds so much flavor to the tenders.
2 pounds boneless chicken breast, cut into strips
Unlike most popular recipes for boneless skinless chicken breasts you will not need any panko breadcrumbs, lemon juice, buttermilk marinade, soy sauce or white vinegar. You won’t need any oil whatsoever either — no peanut oil, vegetable oil, canola oil, none of it! You will be making a simple egg mixture, flour mixture and a bowl of crushed chips to dip it in at the end! The cooking process is super simple and the tenders will be lain in a single layer to be baked in the oven.
What equipment do you need to make these chicken tenders?
All you need is 3 bowls, a baking sheet and some parchment paper.
When to serve these homemade chicken tenders?
Anytime. It can be a nice shakeup to the dinner routine, or even the lunch routine! Kids love these and because the ingredients are so simple it’s easy to make on the fly. These fried chicken fingers have a great crispy exterior with no deep frying necessary!
Make sure that your chicken is cooked all the way through with a meat thermometer that hits 165° when done.
What is the difference between chicken strips and tenders?
The primary difference between chicken strips and tenders is that chicken strips are usually made from breast meat, while tenders are typically made from thigh meat.
This results in chicken strips being leaner and less flavorful than chicken tenders. In addition, chicken strips are typically breaded and fried, while tenders are often simply grilled or baked.
Why do kids love chicken tenders so much?
Chicken tenders are a bit of a blank slate when it comes to flavor. They can be dipped in any number of sauces, or simply eaten plain.
They’re also relatively easy to eat, as there’s no need to deal with bones or skin. And finally, they’re usually fairly inexpensive, making them a great option for budget-minded families.
What meat is used for chicken tenders?
Chicken tenders are typically made from chicken thighs. This cuts of meat is relatively lean, but also quite flavorful.
It’s also relatively easy to remove the tendons from chicken thigh meat, which results in a tenderer final product.
How are chicken strips different from chicken fingers?
Chicken strips and chicken fingers are actually quite similar. Both are typically made from chicken breast meat, and both are usually breaded and fried.
The primary difference is in the shape of the final product. Chicken strips are usually long and thin, while chicken fingers are smaller and more rectangular.
What’s the best way to cook chicken strips?
There are a number of ways to cook chicken strips, but one of the most popular is to bread them and fry them.
This results in a crunchy exterior and a juicy, flavorful interior. Other popular methods include grilling or baking chicken strips.
What is the best dipping sauce for chicken tenders?
Chicken tenders are often served with a dipping sauce, and there are a number of delicious options to choose from.
Some popular sauces include honey mustard, BBQ sauce, and ranch dressing. Really, the best dipping sauce is whichever one you like the most!
What to serve with chicken tenders?
There are a few things that go great with chicken tenders. One is a dipping sauce. Another is a side of veggies or a salad. And of course, you can’t forget about the all-important accompaniment of French fries!
What kind of chicken do I use for chicken tenders?
In this recipe, I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts. However, you could also use chicken thighs or even chicken tenders (the actual muscle that runs along the underside of the breast). Just make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly if you do use a different kind of chicken.
What is the healthiest way to make homemade chicken tenders?
One of the healthiest ways to make homemade chicken tenders is to bake them instead of frying them.
This will cut down on calories and fat, and still result in a delicious final product.
What is the best time to serve these tenders?
Chicken tenders are typically served as an appetizer or main course. However, they can also be a great addition to a lunch or dinner buffet.
They’re also a popular choice for kids’ birthday parties and other casual gatherings. We make them every week!
Secrets to Crispy Baked Chicken Tenders
There are a few secrets to getting crispy chicken tenders without frying them. First, you need to make sure that your chicken is nice and dry before you bread it. If it’s too wet, the breading will just turn out soggy.
Second, you need to use a light hand when breading the chicken so that the breading doesn’t get too thick. And finally, you need to bake the chicken tenders on a wire rack so that they can get nice and crispy all over.
Freezing Chicken Tenders
These chicken tenders freeze really well! Just place them on a baking sheet and pop them in the freezer for an hour or so. Once they’re frozen, you can transfer them to a freezer bag and store them for up to 3 months.
When you’re ready to eat them, just thaw them overnight in the fridge and then bake them according to the recipe instructions.
This recipe is so easy and it results in chicken tenders that are nice and crispy on the outside but still juicy and flavorful on the inside.
Why do we love this chicken tenders recipe?
- It’s quick! You can have these tenders hot and ready, on the table for dinner in less than 30 minutes! I’ve made this many busy weeknights.
- The kids can get involved: I usually ask one of my kids to crush the BBQ chips in the ziploc bag and they have fun crushing them to oblivion!
- Budget friendly: All you need are BBQ chips, Chicken Tenderloin Slices, a few eggs and some breadcrumbs.
- Full meal: While the chicken tenders are baking you can throw some frozen french fries in the air fryer, and make a yummy sauce for dipping.
- Restaurant experience right at home: This is a super popular meal that you can get at a local restaurant made super easy at home.
Chicken Finger Recipe FAQ
Can I make chicken fingers ahead of time? Yes! This recipe is perfect for meal prep. Just bread the chicken tenders and then store them in the fridge until you’re ready to bake them. When you’re ready to eat, just bake them according to the recipe instructions.
Can I freeze chicken fingers? Yes! These chicken fingers freeze really well. Just place them on a baking sheet and pop them in the freezer for an hour or so.
Once they’re frozen, you can transfer them to a freezer bag and store them for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to eat them, just thaw them overnight in the fridge and then bake them according to the recipe instructions.
What should I serve with chicken fingers? There are a few things that go great with chicken fingers. One is a dipping sauce. Another is a side of veggies or a salad. And of course, you can’t forget about the all-important accompaniment of French fries!
How long do chicken fingers take to bake? These chicken fingers will take about 20-25 minutes to bake. However, this will vary depending on the size and thickness of your chicken tenders.
What kind of chicken do I use for chicken fingers? In this recipe, I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts. However, you could also use chicken thighs or even chicken tenders (the actual muscle that runs along the underside of the breast). Just make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly if you do use a different kind of chicken.
What are some helpful tips for making chicken tenders?
1. Choose high-quality chicken: When making chicken tenders, it’s important to select high-quality chicken breasts that have been trimmed of fat and skin. Look for organic or free-range chicken if possible.
2. Cut the strips properly: Once you have your chicken ready, cut the strips into even sizes for consistent cooking. Aim for strips that are about 1/2-inch thick and 2-3 inches in length.
3. Preheat the oven or pan: Before you start cooking the tenders, it’s important to preheat your oven or skillet. This will help ensure that they cook evenly and don’t burn on one side while still being raw on the other.
4. Cook thoroughly: The key to delicious chicken tenders is to make sure that they are cooked through. Use an internal thermometer to check that they are at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit before serving.
5. Serve warm: Last but not least, serve your chicken tenders hot and fresh out of the oven or pan! Enjoy with your favorite dipping sauces or side dishes.
These yummy homemade crispy chicken tenders are so great and perfect for anytime!
- 1 cup flour (all purpose, gluten free etc)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tsp Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper 3 large eggs
- 5 cups tangy bbq chips, crushed
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breast, cut into strips
- Preheat the oven to 450°F
- Lightly beat three eggs in a bowl and set aside.
- Combine flour and seasonings in a bowl mix to incorporate.
- Crush barbecue chips in a plastic Ziploc bag and then pour into a medium-size bowl for dredging. Lightly sprinkle chicken tenders with salt and pepper
- Coat the tenders in flour, Then egg, then coat in barbecue chips and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes on one side flip over and bake for an additional 10 minutes
- Serve with honey mustard, ranch, or ketchup.
The tenders should be fully cooked through before serving baking them in a high heat oven at 450° will help the internal temperature of the chicken tenders rise quickly
Amount Per Serving Calories 642Total Fat 33gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 26gCholesterol 111mgSodium 688mgCarbohydrates 61gFiber 4gSugar 5gProtein 32g