Berry Breakfast Casserole: A Delightful Morning Treat
This Berry Breakfast Casserole is a delightful twist on traditional breakfast casseroles. Imagine starting your day with the sweet and tangy flavors of fresh raspberries and blueberries, combined with the rich, creamy texture of cream cheese and heavy cream, all nestled within buttery croissants.
This casserole is not just a delicious breakfast; it’s a celebration on a plate, perfect for special occasions like Christmas morning, Mother’s Day, or a leisurely weekend brunch.
Q: Can I use frozen berries instead of fresh? A: Absolutely! While fresh berries offer a vibrant berry flavor, frozen berries can be a great substitute. Just remember to thaw and drain them to avoid excess moisture.
Q: Is it possible to make this casserole ahead of time? A: Yes, this is a great overnight breakfast casserole. Assemble it the night before and let it rest in the fridge. The next morning, simply bake it until golden brown.
Q: Can I use different types of bread? A: Definitely. While croissants add a luxurious texture, other bread like challah bread, French bread, or even stale bread cut into 1-inch cubes can work well.
Tips and Tricks
- For the best results, use room temperature ingredients. This ensures a smoother, creamier custard mixture.
- If you prefer a less sweet casserole, reduce the sugar slightly and add a drizzle of maple syrup on top of the casserole after baking.
- To avoid a soggy bottom, ensure your bread is slightly dry. If using fresher bread, you can toast it lightly to remove some moisture.
- Bread Choices: Swap croissants with French bread or challah bread for a different texture.
- Flavor Twists: Add lemon zest or almond extract for a unique twist.
- Berry Options: Mix and match with different berries like strawberries or blackberries for varied berry flavors.
Where to Serve
This berry breakfast casserole is perfect for any occasion that calls for a special breakfast or brunch. Serve it on Easter morning, during Sunday brunch, or as the main dish for a weekend family gathering.
Wrap the casserole dish with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and refrigerate for up to 3 days. For longer storage, freeze individual portions wrapped in saran wrap.
Common Problems and How to Avoid Them
- Soggy Casserole: Ensure your bread is dry enough. If using croissants, leave them out overnight to stale a bit.
- Uneven Cooking: Cut the bread into small, even pieces and pour egg mixture evenly over the bread to ensure consistent cooking.
Tips for Making This Recipe with Kids
- Let them help with tearing the croissants into pieces.
- Kids can also help layer the berries and sprinkle sugar.
- Teach them to crack eggs into a medium bowl – great for developing fine motor skills.
Why Each Ingredient is Needed
- Croissants: Provide a buttery, flaky base.
- Fresh Berries: Offer a burst of sweet and tangy flavors.
- Cream Cheese: Adds a creamy texture and richness.
- Sugar: Sweetens the casserole.
- Eggs: Bind all ingredients together, creating a custard-like texture.
- Heavy Cream: Contributes to the creamy custard mixture.
- Vanilla Extract: Enhances overall flavor.
- Orange Juice & Zest: Adds a subtle citrus note.
- Salt: Balances the sweetness.
- Powdered Sugar: For a sweet, decorative finish.
- Maple Syrup: Adds a rich, sweet flavor.
- Fresh Fruit Salad: For a refreshing side.
- Blueberry Sauce: Enhances the berry flavor.
Why This Recipe Works
This Berry Breakfast Casserole is a great recipe because it combines the comfort of a traditional French toast bake with the elegance of a croissant breakfast casserole.
The juicy blueberries and sweet raspberries, combined with the creamy filling and golden-brown top of the bread, create a symphony of flavors and textures. It’s an easy recipe with enough flexibility for variations, making it one of the best breakfast casserole options for both special occasions and lazy weekend mornings.
Here are some more amazing breakfast recipes to try:
- Easy Slow Cooker French Toast Casserole Recipe
- The Best Overnight Caramel French Toast recipe
- The Absolute Best Rainbow Waffles Recipe
- Easy Cinnamon Roll Pancakes Recipe For Brunch
Indulge in a Berry Breakfast Casserole, where buttery croissants meet the juicy sweetness of fresh raspberries and blueberries, all enveloped in a rich, creamy blend of cream cheese, heavy cream, and a hint of orange zest. This delightful casserole, perfect for special occasions or a luxurious weekend brunch, bakes to a golden brown, offering a delicious symphony of flavors and textures in every bite.
- Casserole Ingredients:
- 6 -7 large bakery croissants (about 10 cups)
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 12 oz cream cheese (room temp)
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp sugar
- 5 eggs (room temp)
- 1 ¾ cup heavy cream (room temp)
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 Tbsp juice from orange
- 1 tsp orange zest
- ¼ tsp salt
- Glaze Ingredients:
- 2 Tbsp butter
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9in x 13in baking dish and set aside.
- Cut croissants into small bite size pieces and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 9 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes.
- While croissants are in the oven, make the custard. Add cream cheese and sugar into a large stand mixing bowl and mix to combine. Add in eggs, heavy cream, juice and zest from the orange, vanilla and salt. Mix to combine.
- To assemble the casserole, place a layer of croissants on the bottom. Add half of the berries and drizzle on half of the custard. Repeat - croissants, berries and remaining custard on top.
- Gently press down on the casserole to make sure as many of the croissant pieces are submerged.
- Let sit for 20 - 30 minutes to allow the croissants to soak up the custard.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove the foil to allow the top to crisp.
- To make the glaze, melt the butter. Combine all of the ingredients into a bowl and mix until the glaze is smooth.
- Drizzle glaze on top of the warm casserole and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving Calories 637Total Fat 45gSaturated Fat 26gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 15gCholesterol 222mgSodium 517mgCarbohydrates 47gFiber 4gSugar 24gProtein 13g
Before you go, grab Your Free Printable Recipe Kit!
Write down your favorite recipes and create your own personal cookbook of your favorite food creations!
Hi! I’m Nellie. I am an entrepreneur, a busy mama of 3 and a wife to my high school sweetheart. I have been sharing content for over 12 years about how to cook easy recipes, workout tips and free printables that make life a little bit easier. I have been featured in places like Yahoo, Buzzfeed, What To Expect, Mediavine, Niche Pursuits, HuffPost, BabyCenter, Mom 2.0, Mommy Nearest, Parade, Care.com, and more!
Get comfortable and be sure to come hang out with me on social. Don’t forget to grab your free fitness journal before you go!