I can’t believe that I am about to run my third AirBNB Brooklyn Half and my 15th Half overall! It’s been an insane running journey but I love this race the most because…home.
I have shared in previous years how much I love the Pre-Party and this year I volunteered for the 3rd straight time too! I was happy to take a day shift because the night shift is so tough! You leave after 9pm and I have a full hour commute home so, I’d be SO exhausted by the next day. The Pre Party never disappoints however, so I’m sharing today why the Brooklyn Half Pre-party is my favorite race expo of all time.
- Energy: I’ve been to a lot of half marathon expos and the energy is usually that of excitement with a touch of nervousness. At the Brooklyn Half Pre Party it’s always a super happy and chill vibe. I don’t feel the nervousness, it just feels like we are all about to have a REALLY good time on the streets of Brooklyn. The people are nice, everyone is relaxed, and it’s just a really great place to spend a few hours in.
- Eats: You would think that I would get to partake in some of the best food trucks in the city on a daily basis — but nope! Because of weird NYC laws, food trucks can sometimes be hard to come by! You usually have to be really committed and follow your favorite truck all around the city! When it comes to the pre Party however, you already know that some amazing food trucks are going to be present! This year there was a mac and cheese truck, a lobster truck and a Korean Taco Truck with more coming in the evening! I decided to partake in the Korean Taco Truck and it was SO delicious!
- Sponsors: Every year the Brooklyn Half has some amazing sponsors. There is the title sponsor AirBNB and other sponsors such as Poland Spring and New Balance. Each sponsor has their own booths, with swag you can pick up!
- Activities: On the lawn outside of bib pick up there were yoga mats just in case anyone wanted to bend and snap outside next to the water. There were TONS of places to take pictures and even more places to be social. After 5pm the live local bands come out and perform for everyone. It’s the coolest!
- Location, location, location: I’ve talked many times about how Brooklyn bridge Park is my favorite place in Brooklyn. I been to the park a million times and every single time it takes my breath away. The views, the water, the NYC Skyline, the lush greenery–I can go on and on. It’s a bit of a walk to the subway but totally worth it.