Home fashion 6 Ways to Spice Up Your Workout Wardrobe

6 Ways to Spice Up Your Workout Wardrobe

6 easy ways to spice up your workout wardrobe

6 Ways to Makeover Your Workout Wardrobe

I have made no qualms about how much I love workout clothes. They are way more fun than regular clothes and it allows me to show my personality in fun ways!

I get a lot of questions and compliments on my workout wardrobe and I’m here to tell you that you can makeover your fitness wardrobe in 6 easy steps.

1) Pants with Flair

10 out of every 12 women wear black tights, capris or shorts to their workout everyday. Is that a scientific quote? Absolutely not. I totally made that up–but doesn’t it seem that way?!

Don’t get me wrong black tights are functional and they go with everything (I have a million myself) but if you want to makeover your workout wardrobe think outside the box and grab some neon colored tights. Fun patterns are also a great way to switch things up.

2) Ditch the t-shirts

I had to go through my drawers and get rid of all my oversized cotton tees. I have them from so many events–volunteer events, 5ks, work you name it! But let’s face it, there is nothing cute about a cotton tee–it may be comfortable to you but stylish? Not so much.

3) Bright colors

Get acquainted with the colors of the rainbow. When shopping for workout clothes think about colors that you barely see at the gym like turquoise, fuchsia, red, green–think outside of what you have at home. Pick solid pieces that are versatile and out of the box.

4) Plan your outfits

Don’t just grab what is on top of the clean laundry pile! Think about new ways to pair items together–try not to repeat an outfit for a month. Always try on the outfit too because unless you have the perfect body certain tops DO NOT go with certain bottoms. (I have learned this the hard way folks!) Show variety in your wardrobe by investing 10 minutes in what you are going to wear to make your body look better.

5) Learn what works for your body (and buy that!)

Speaking of wardrobe malfunctions–know what works for you. For example, I tend to gravitate towards a workout top that snug around the upper body but has give around my tummy area. It is so important to comfortable while being stylish. Low cut capris may not work for someone with a lot of junk in their trunk.

6) Gear built for specific workouts

There is a reason why all of the store brands make running shoes and running gear. The clothes are scientifically designed for that purpose. Under Armour has a yoga line, a studio line and a running version of their clothes. ZUMBA Fitness has a special line of clothing designed to make you feel amazing during class. Pay attention to what type of workout piece you are purchasing, it is usually indicated on the tag.

Do you have a stylish workout wardrobe? What tips would you add? Over-sized tee shirts–yay or nay?

Kristina Walters January 26, 2015 - 5:36 am

I guess I do need some spicing up! LOL! My workout clothes are typically t-shirts and black bicycle shorts.

Janine Huldie January 26, 2015 - 5:43 am

Love These tips and definitely am going to put a few to the test when I go shopping again for workout clothes here 😉

Allie January 26, 2015 - 6:00 am

Since I spend 80% of my life in workout gear (scientific quote!) I am ON IT when it comes to being fashionable. I admit I’ve had some mishaps along the way, but I love patterns and brights and try to mix things up as much as possible. My Oisele and Athleta accounts are astronomical but I justify it with the 80% thing 🙂

Kim January 26, 2015 - 7:32 am

For my actual workout I don’t really bother too much since I work out at home alone! However, for the workout stuff that I wear the majority of the rest of the time I do like it to be cuter (although the bottoms are almost always black!!).

Kita January 26, 2015 - 8:19 am

No to big tshirts they get in the way. I think something that fits is the best thing. I am not a fan of bright colors but you will stand out with it. When I use to work out I wore a lot of sweats. Times have definitely changed.

Leslie January 26, 2015 - 5:21 pm

I used to be an oversized t-shirt wearer. But after I learned about moisture-wicking fabrics, I never went back (unless I had no choice). Though I do usually stick with dark solids on bottom. I just feel weird in bright patterns on my legs; even though I love seeing them on other people.

K. Elizabeth (YUMMommy) January 27, 2015 - 1:47 pm

Great tips. I agree about adding bright colors. I feel more motivated when I’m working out in something that is cheery.

Tamara January 30, 2015 - 1:43 pm

ha! I laughed at your made up statistic. I liked it. Black pants seem to be more prevalent. Personally I like really bright pants. Like bright red!

Sharsti January 31, 2015 - 11:12 am

Just found your blog and it was the perfect time! I’m in serious need of a workout clothes makeover, great tips!

Nicole February 2, 2015 - 5:13 pm

Great tips! I definitely agree that plain black workout pants go with everything but are boring. I have SO many pairs of them, but lately I’ve been branching out and going for brightly colored capris. I’m loving it!

I actually just ordered a new workout outfit through Fabletics and am excited to get it. New workout clothes always make me look forward to working out!

Ava April 2, 2018 - 2:40 pm

I usually wear cotton tees when working out before, you’re right it’s comfortable but not stylish.