Must Have Hydration Tips & Tricks For Runners
A few years ago I wrote an article called 5 Hydration Mistakes You May Not Even Know You’re Making which highlighted how important proper hydration is for overall good health. Today I’m sharing some awesome tips on how to hydrate properly before a run, and just some general tips to stay on top of your water intake!
- Start Early: In general when it comes to races, and long runs I start being extra cognizant of my water intake. For example: When it comes to a weekend half marathon, I usually do a gradula increase: I make sure I get 75oz on Wednesday, 85oz on Thursday and 100oz of Friday (The day before the race). During marathon time I extended this schedule to a whole week before the race.
- Use different bottles: To prevent boredom I tend to use all kind of water bottles, cups, the palms of my hands–whatever works. If I’m home, I’ll switch between two or three water bottles and when I am out and about I’ll purposely purchase several different water bottles just to keep things interesting!
- Drink Water pre race: When I first started racing I used to avoid drinking water (or anything for that matter) pre race because I didn’t want to use a port-o-potty. Sounds crazy right? But it’s true! I really despise port o potties but I eventually learned that they are a necessary evil. I always feel much better when I hydrate in the morning prior to a run vs. when I don’t.
- Mix fruit into water: This one is easy and fun! I never knew how many amazing and delicious water water/fruit/vegetable combinations there could be! Cutting up fresh fruit like lemon, strawberries or blueberries to name a few can really give a nice taste to the large amount of water that you are intaking. My personal favorite usually involves mint or basil.
- Set hourly goals: 100oz in one day can seem impossible, especially when you work full time or have a really busy day and it is not your greatest priority to drink all the water. What helps me a lot is keeping time goals. I’ll say to myself “By 2pm you will need to finish 40oz of water”. That way I’m not trying to drink 6 million glasses of water by the end of the night because I forgot. 🙂 The time deadline helps you stay alert and conscious of your hydration goals.
Hydration Tips and Tricks from @CarlyPizzani, @VITAtrain4Life, @HappyFitmama & @ThisRunRecipes!Click To Tweet
This month I am teaming up with my favorite running bloggers as they share THEIR own personal hydration tips and tricks. Be sure to check them out!
Carly @ Fine Fit Day
Allie @ VITA Train 4 Life
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama