If you’re a fan of classic choco tacos, those beloved treats you often find at the neighborhood ice cream truck, you’re in for a delightful surprise. Today, we’re going to show you how to create your own choco tacos from scratch.
These homemade choco tacos are perfect for satisfying your sweet tooth on a hot summer day or for adding a touch of nostalgia to any dessert menu. With their crepe-like taco shell, creamy vanilla ice cream, and a luscious chocolate coating, these ice cream tacos are a surefire crowd-pleaser. Plus, they’re a fantastic project to undertake with your little ones, making it a fun activity for the whole family. So, let’s dive into this copycat choco taco recipe!
What Ingredients Do You Need?
- Pizzelle Cookies
- Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Chopped Peanuts
- Coconut Oil
Step By Step Directions on How To Make Choco Tacos
Take the ice cream out of the freezer and let thaw for 15 minutes.
While that is thawing, wrap half the pizzelle cookies in a paper towel. Microwave for 20 seconds, the cookie will be soft and malleable.
Fold into a taco place into the taco holder. The alternative without a taco holder is to fold each cookie over the hand of a wooden spoon, to help keep its shape.
Move quickly and repeat with the rest of the pizzelle cookies.
Let cool for a few minutes, until the cookie is completely hardened and holds its taco shape.
Fill each taco cookie with the thawed ice cream. Place in the freezer for 15 minutes.
In a mixing bowl, add the chocolate chips and coconut oil. Microwave this at 30 second intervals, stirring in between until melted and smooth. You can also use the double boiler method, placing the bowl with the chocolate and oil over a pot of boiling water, stirring until everything is melted.
Dip the top of the taco into the melted chocolate, coating all of the ice cream that is visible. Dip straight into the chopped peanuts.
Repeat with the rest of the tacos. The chocolate will harden quickly, but still place these back in the freezer for 10 more minutes.
Only remove from the freezer when ready to eat!
FAQ for Homemade Choco Tacos
Q: What’s the origin of choco tacos? A: Choco tacos have been a favorite treat in the United States for decades. They are believed to have been first introduced by the Taco Bell chain and have since become a classic dessert found in ice cream trucks and Mexican restaurants.
Q: Why make homemade choco tacos when you can buy them at the store? A: Homemade choco tacos allow you to customize the ingredients, ensuring you get the best quality ice cream and toppings. Plus, making them from scratch is a fun and rewarding experience, and you can enjoy the freshness of your creation.
Q: Can I make these without a pizzelle maker or waffle cone maker? A: While a pizzelle or waffle cone maker helps achieve that perfect taco shell shape, you can use a non-stick skillet to make crepe-like shells if you don’t have a specialized appliance.
Q: What are some creative ice cream flavors to use? A: Feel free to experiment with your favorite ice cream flavors! Whether it’s classic vanilla, strawberry, fudge ripple, or even peanut butter, the possibilities are endless.
Where to Serve Homemade Choco Tacos
Homemade choco tacos are a versatile dessert that can be served on various occasions:
- Dessert for Taco Tuesday: Celebrate Taco Tuesday with a sweet twist by serving these homemade choco tacos after your savory tacos.
- Hot Summer Days: There’s nothing like a cold and creamy ice cream treat on a scorching summer day.
- Cinco de Mayo: These choco tacos can be a delightful addition to your Cinco de Mayo celebration, combining Mexican flavors with a sweet treat.
- Kids’ Parties: Kids love helping make these and enjoy devouring them even more. They’re perfect for birthday parties and playdates.
To keep your homemade choco tacos fresh and delicious:
- Store them in an airtight container in the freezer to prevent freezer burn.
- Place parchment paper between the tacos to prevent them from sticking together.
- When serving the next day, let them sit at room temperature for a few minutes to soften slightly.
Tips for Making This Recipe with Kids
Making homemade choco tacos with kids can be a memorable and enjoyable experience. Here are some tips to make it a smooth process:
- Prepare Ingredients Ahead: Measure and organize all the ingredients in advance, so kids can easily add them to the taco shells.
- Supervise the Waffle Cone Maker: If kids are involved in using the waffle cone maker, make sure they do it under close supervision, as it involves hot surfaces.
- Let Them Assemble: Kids love being hands-on. Allow them to scoop the ice cream and sprinkle the toppings. It’s a great way to let their creativity shine.
- Create a Topping Bar: Set up a toppings bar with options like melted chocolate, chopped nuts, and sprinkles. Kids can customize their own choco tacos.
- Be Patient: Expect a bit of mess, but that’s part of the fun. Embrace the messiness and enjoy the process together.
Why This Recipe Works
Homemade choco tacos have several advantages over their store-bought counterparts:
- Quality Control: You get to choose the best quality ice cream, chocolate chips, and toppings, ensuring a superior taste.
- Customization: Create a personalized dessert with your favorite ice cream flavors and toppings.
- Family Activity: Making choco tacos together is a fantastic bonding experience, especially with kids. It’s a hands-on, creative project that everyone can enjoy.
- Nostalgia: Relive the joy of enjoying these classic treats from your childhood, and share that joy with the next generation.
- Freshness: Your homemade choco tacos will always be fresher than anything you can buy at the store.
Making your own choco tacos is not only a delicious endeavor but also a memorable one. Whether you’re recreating the classic choco taco or experimenting with new flavors, these homemade ice cream tacos are a delightful treat for any occasion. So, gather your ingredients, fire up the waffle cone maker, and let the sweet adventure begin!
Here are some more fun ice cream recipes to try:
- Creamy Hot Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe
- Easy Strawberry Ice Cream Cake Recipe
- Homemade No-Churn Cookie Monster Ice Cream Recipe
- Easy Dirt and Worms Ice Cream Floats
These homemade Choco Tacos are a delightful twist on the classic ice cream treat, featuring a crispy waffle cone taco shell filled with creamy, rich vanilla ice cream and dipped in a luscious chocolate coating sprinkled with crunchy chopped peanuts. Perfect for a nostalgic dessert experience, they bring together the joy of a taco with the sweet indulgence of ice cream, ideal for summer gatherings or as a special treat.
- 8 Pizzelle Cookies
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 ½ cups vanilla ice Cream
- ¾ cup chopped peanuts
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Take the ice cream out of the freezer and let thaw for 15 minutes.
- While that is thawing, wrap half the pizzelle cookies in a paper towel. Microwave for 20 seconds, the cookie will be soft and malleable. Fold into a taco place into the taco holder. The alternative without a taco holder is to fold each cookie over the hand of a wooden spoon, to help keep its shape. Move quickly and repeat with the rest of the pizzelle cookies.
- Let cool for a few minutes, until the cookie is completely hardened and holds its taco shape.
- Fill each taco cookie with the thawed ice cream. Place in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, add the chocolate chips and coconut oil. Microwave this at 30 second intervals, stirring in between until melted and smooth. You can also use the double boiler method, placing the bowl with the chocolate and oil over a pot of boiling water, stirring until everything is melted.
- Prepare an area with the chopped peanuts, melted chocolate and ice cream tacos.
- Dip the top of the taco into the melted chocolate, coating all of the ice cream that is visible. Dip straight into the chopped peanuts.
- Repeat with the rest of the tacos. The chocolate will harden quickly, but still place these back in the freezer for 10 more minutes.
- Only remove from the freezer when ready to eat!
Amount Per Serving Calories 484Total Fat 32gSaturated Fat 15gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 15gCholesterol 44mgSodium 190mgCarbohydrates 47gFiber 4gSugar 34gProtein 10g
Before you go, grab Your Free Printable Recipe Kit!
Write down your favorite recipes and create your own personal cookbook of your favorite food creations!
Hi! I’m Nellie. I am an entrepreneur, a busy mama of 3 and a wife to my high school sweetheart. I have been sharing content for over 12 years about how to cook easy recipes, workout tips and free printables that make life a little bit easier. I have been featured in places like Yahoo, Buzzfeed, What To Expect, Mediavine, Niche Pursuits, HuffPost, BabyCenter, Mom 2.0, Mommy Nearest, Parade, Care.com, and more!
Get comfortable and be sure to come hang out with me on social. Don’t forget to grab your free fitness journal before you go!