Twisted Cinnamon Bread: A Tantalizing Twist on a Classic
Get ready for an experience that combines the irresistible flavors of cinnamon rolls with the intricate, shareable design of braided bread. Check out this Twisted Cinnamon Bread recipe—soft, sweet dough spiraled with layers of cinnamon sugar that make for a cozy treat any time of the day.
What type of yeast should I use?
This recipe calls for active dry yeast, but you can also use instant yeast. The key difference is that instant yeast doesn’t require proofing, so you can mix it directly into your dry ingredients.
Can I use a bread machine for this recipe?
Yes, just use the dough cycle for the best results.
Can I use all-purpose flour instead of bread flour?
Bread flour is recommended for a chewier texture, but you can use all-purpose flour as a substitute.
Tips and Tricks
- Use warm water to activate the yeast, ideally between 110-115°F.
- Use the dough hook attachment in the bowl of a stand mixer for effective kneading. Start at the lowest speed and gradually increase to medium speed.
- For the first rise, place your dough ball in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let it sit in a warm place until doubled in size.
Making the Filling
- For a richer taste, you can substitute brown sugar for white sugar in the cinnamon topping.
- Melted butter makes it easier to spread the filling, ensuring an even layer of cinnamon butter goodness.
Shaping the Bread
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface into a large rectangle.
- Use a pizza cutter or a sharp knife to slice the dough into strips.
- Twist the strips in opposite directions to form your cinnamon bread twists.
- Cinnamon Star Bread: Divide the dough into four parts and layer them, cutting and twisting into a star shape.
- Cinnamon Donuts: Shape the dough into small rings and fry them until golden brown.
- Sweet Rolls: Roll up the dough jelly-roll style and slice.
Where to Serve
This Twisted Cinnamon Bread is perfect for special occasions like Christmas or as a weekend breakfast treat. You can also serve it as a sweet accompaniment to afternoon tea.
Wrap your bread in aluminum foil or plastic wrap. It should stay fresh for about 2-3 days at room temperature or up to a month in the freezer. If you’re planning to serve it the next day, warming it up a little bit in the oven will do wonders.
Common Problems and How to Avoid Them
- Sticky Dough: Too much water or not enough flour can make your dough sticky. Add a little bit more flour and knead until you get a smooth ball of dough.
- Dry Bread: Over-baking or too much flour can result in dry bread. Always check the internal temperature to ensure it’s fully baked but still moist.
Making This Recipe with Kids
Kids will love the whole process, especially the part where they get to twist the dough! Just ensure they’re supervised when using the oven or handling hot ingredients.
- Vanilla Icing: Mix powdered sugar and milk to make a simple vanilla icing.
- Maple Syrup: A light drizzle adds a different kind of sweetness.
- Fresh Berries: Add a fresh, fruity element to your bread.
Why This Recipe Works
The combination of bread flour and sweet dough makes the bread soft and fluffy. The cinnamon-sugar filling ensures layers of flavor in every bite. The braided or twisted design makes it visually appealing, perfect for sharing during a special occasion or the next morning’s breakfast.
Happy Baking! If you have any more recipe questions, please refer to the full recipe card below for step-by-step instructions and exact measurements.
What are some other amazing cinnamon recipes to try?
- Decadent Cinnamon Baked Apples Recipe
- Easy Cinnamon Roll Cookies
- Easy Delicious and Viral TikTok Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
- Homemade Cinnamon Roll Buttermilk Biscuits
- Easy Homemade Pumpkin Waffles with Cinnamon Maple Syrup
For more fun snacks and treats recipes be sure to check out 50+ Fun and Easy Dessert Recipes For Kids!
These Cinnamon twists are so great for an after school snack or anytime snack!
- ⅔ cup water
- ½ teaspoon active yeast
- 1 ½ tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons milk
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups bread flour
- Cinnamon Topping
- ½ cup butter, salted
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- In a small bowl combine the water, milk, sugar and active yeast. Stir together and let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a larger separate bowl add the flour, baking powder and salt. Pour the milk and yeast mixture as well as the oil into the flour and gently stir together until a dough forms.
- Transfer this dough to a clean surface and begin kneading for about 5 minutes.
- Cut the dough into 6 equal pieces and roll each piece out into a log. Create a ribbon shape with each log by first creating an arch shape and thenfolding the left side of the lower half of arch over the right, pressing the middle to hold its shape
- Transfer to a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- While the dough is resting, melt the butter and create the cinnamon sugar mixture, keeping the two separate.
- Once the dough has sat for 30 minutes, generously brush all the dough with the melted butter. Sprinkle a heavy amount of the cinnamon sugar mixture over the twists. Repeat this process once more with more butter and sugar for layers of the sweet flavor.
- Bake in the oven for 17-20 minutes or until the bottoms begin caramelizing.
- Remove from the oven and brush again with the rest of the butter and sprinkle some more of the cinnamon sugar topping.
- Enjoy while warm!
Amount Per Serving Calories 563Total Fat 31gSaturated Fat 14gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 41mgSodium 655mgCarbohydrates 66gFiber 3gSugar 12gProtein 7g
Grab your free cookbook before you go!
Hi! I’m Nellie. I am a busy mama of three, wife to my high school sweetheart who loves to cook, workout and stay organized! I love to share helpful printables, the best recipes and fitness tips for the modern mom. I strongly believe that every mom can feed their family well, take proper care of themselves and have fun along the way! Read my story.
Get comfortable and be sure to come hang out with me on social. Don’t grab your free fitness journal before you go!