If you are looking for an awesome twist on cinnamon rolls, check out this amazing Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls From Scratch!
Have you ever made Cinnamon Rolls from scratch?
It is an amazing feeling to see the dough rise and bake into delicious fresh cinnamon rolls. The aroma of the cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger will fill your home with an earthy sweet scent that is sure to beckon all family members hungry for breakfast (or dessert).
I recommend using apple pie filling as the filling for these Decadent Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls From Scratch. You can use canned or homemade; either way it will be fabulous!
Where do you serve these awesome cinnamon rolls?
I prefer to make a day of it. I will make the dough in the morning and let it rise for about an hour or so, then roll out the dough into a rectangle, spread with butter and sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon. Slice into strips vertically taking care not to squish the dough.
These are great for the holidays and celebrations. We love to make them during the holiday season. My kids are always excited when they are making breakfast because they know these are coming!
I think one of the most important things is to glaze with icing or frosting, whatever you like best. I would also recommend letting them cool for about 10 minutes before cutting into it. We usually serve this with a side of scrambled eggs and bacon for a great family breakfast.
Ingredients for cinnamon roll dough
1 cup warm milk (should be warm to the touch not hot)
1 packet instant yeast
2 large eggs, brought to room temperature *see notes on egg safety 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour (reserved)
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 (1.25 oz) packet freeze-dried cinnamon apple slices crushed
1/2 cup heavy cream, warmed (reserved for after 2nd rising) frosting
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tbsp heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 green granny smith apple, cored and chopped
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 packed light brown sugar
2 tbsp unsalted butter
The filling, the frosting and of course the fresh apples make this cinnamon buns recipe top notch! Instead of apple pie spice you will be using fresh apples in the apple mixture. This cinnamon roll recipe is an easy breakfast casserole with a delicious apple filling and the house smells phenomenal!
The cream cheese frosting for these apple cinnamon rolls can also make this an amazing dessert! These are better than regular cinnamon rolls, because they bring the traditional apple pie taste!
Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls From Scratch
This amazing apple pie cinnamon rolls recipe will become your new favorite breakfast or even dessert recipe!
- 1 cup warm milk (should be warm to the touch not hot)
- 1 packet instant yeast
- 2 large eggs, brought to room temperature *see notes on egg safety 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (reserved)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 (1.25 oz) packet freeze-dried cinnamon apple slices crushed
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, warmed (reserved for after 2nd rising) frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 green granny smith apple, cored and chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 packed light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- Add yeast and warm milk to the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Add the eggs, melted butter (make sure its not HOT) and sugar to the bowl. Whisk together or use the paddle attachment to combine.
- Add in the salt and four cups of flour.
- Using the paddle attachment, mix until just incorporated.
- Let sit for five mins so the flour can absorb the liquid
- Change the handle from the paddle to the dough hook and knead on medium speed for 5-7 mins.
- The dough will still stick to the sides of the bowl, but should still hold shape. If it does not add in the reserved 1/2 cup of flour.
- Spray a large bowl with nonstick spray, add the dough to it and cover with a cloth.
- Allow to rise in a warm place for 35-40 mins (or until doubled in size)
- While the dough is rising, make the filling.
- Add all the ingredients to a small bowl and mix well together.
- (I crushed the freeze-dried fruit in a food processor)
- Turn the dough out on a lightly floured surface.
- Roll the dough to a 24*15" rectangle.
- Drop dollops of the filling all over the dough, then spread it evenly over the top surface of the dough.
- (if it cools off too much you can make it soft by warming it in the microwave for 15 seconds)
- Starting on the long end, roll the dough up tightly jelly-roll style.
- Cut into 12 slices and place into prepared pan
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cover the pan and allow the apple pie cinnamon rolls to rise for 20 minutes or until nearly double.
- Pour the 1/2 cup heavy cream over the rolls right before baking.
- Bake for 20-25 mins until the rolls are lightly golden brown and the center is cooked through.
- While baking prepare frosting and or apple pie topping.
- In a large bowl, blend softened cream cheese until smooth. Add powdered sugar, heavy cream, and vanilla. Beat until combined.
- In a small saucepan add butter, apples, brown sugar, and vanilla. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Once all the sugar is completely melted, pour it into a bowl and let cool.
- Remove the rolls from the oven. Top with cream cheese allowing it to melt over the top. Add apple pie filling, serve and enjoy warm!
If the dough does not double in size by the 40 min mark, place it in a warmer space for 10 additional min. If it is still not rising your yeast is not activated and the dough should be discarded.
I typically turn on the oven and place the bowl on the back burner to allow the dough to rise.
Amount Per Serving Calories 629Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 17gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 120mgSodium 275mgCarbohydrates 87gFiber 3gSugar 49gProtein 9g
Pin it for later!
If you enjoyed this recipe be sure to check out my Instagram Page for the latest posts!
Before you go, check out these great posts!
Easy Cinnamon Roll Apple Pie For a Quick Dessert
Easy Cinnamon Roll Pancakes Recipe For Brunch
Funfetti Birthday Waffles – Celebrate With This Fun Waffle Recipe!
Homemade Air Fryer Chicken and Waffles Recipe
The Most Amazing French Toast Recipes For Brunch
Hi! I’m Nellie. I am a busy mama of three, wife to my high school sweetheart who loves to cook, workout and stay organized! I love to share helpful printables, the best recipes and fitness tips for the modern mom. I strongly believe that every mom can feed their family well, take proper care of themselves and have fun along the way! Read my story.
Get comfortable and be sure to come hang out with me on social. Don’t grab your free fitness journal before you go!