Lately I have found myself getting super creative with what I have in the fridge. Today I have a really yummy appetizer to hold the family over before the main dish. This Mozzarella Caprese Salad is one of my all time favorite dishes, and I have the easy recipe for you today.
What is Mozzarella Caprese Salad exactly?
According to Wikipedia: Caprese salad is a simple Italian salad, made of sliced fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and sweet basil, seasoned with salt and olive oil, occasionally paired with arugula. It is usually arranged on a plate in restaurant practice. Like Pizza Margherita, it features the colors of the Italian flag: green, white, and red.
Whenever I go to events and there is a caprese salad on the menu, I am legitimately excited! The best part is that you really have to try hard to mess it up. Honestly, the basil, the cheese and the balsamic glaze is what makes this easy appetizer pop!
The best part is even though it’s a dish that is a classic Italian dish, and represents the colors of the flag, you can pretty much find it everywhere. I don’t know the first place I ever had it, but I fell in love immediately.
The olive oil make a big difference too! My favorite olive oil is the Colavita brand. It has such a rich flavor and its a bit on the expensive side but oh so worth it!
How Do I make mozzarella caprese salad?
All you need are five simple ingredients: Basil Olive oil, Fresh basil leaves, balsamic glaze and fresh mozzarella.
What is balsamic glaze?
Balsamic glaze is the result of the blend of balsamic vinegar and a sweetener, such as honey, maple syrup, or brown sugar, that has been cooked down until it forms into this amazingly scrumptious thick, syrupy concoction.
Check out the super easy recipe below!
This simple and delicious recipe is the perfect appetizer for any occasion. Using simple fresh ingredients, this will be a family favorite!
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella
- 4 rope tomatoes (any color)
- Fresh basil leaves
- Extra virgin olive oil or basil olive oil (optional)
- Balsamic glaze to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Slice a couple of gorgeous ripe tomatoes, not too thin. And then slice the fresh mozzarella.
- Alternate slices of tomatoes an mozzarella on a plate, overlapping them so you can see some of each of the slices.
- Alternate the basil between or stack up the basil leaves on top of the other, roll them up, then cut into thin slices and sprinkle those over the mozzarella and tomatoes.
- Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic glaze. Before serving sprinkle with fresh ground pepper.