20 Brutally Honest Confessions About Marathon Training
1) I can’t stop talking about it
I swore that I would not be one of those people that didn’t bring up marathon training every 6 minutes. I have LITERALLY BECOME THAT PERSON.
“hey Girl, how are you?” “Girl, this marathon training is kicking my butt.”
“Hey Nellie, can you pass me the salt?” “Yeah, omg, I lose SO MUCH SALT on my long runs”
2) It’s taken over my life
I plan every single thing around marathon training. Sleep, work, meals, conferences, birthday parties. ALL OF IT.
3) I can’t stop eating
All the things. Not that I’m using the extra miles to eat what I want but I find myself hungry at ALL the random times.
4) I just want to nap
No, really. Since I have To wake up at 4:30am to train, my body is in a constant state of tired. My long runs are usually followed by a day of activity with the kids so yeah.
5) I am unable to commit to anything without checking my training schedule.
“Oh, what time is the birthday party?” “2pm? yeah, I can make it, I should be done with my long run by then.”
6) every training week feels like 6 weeks in one
Now that the miles are rising to around 30 a week, I’m just always running. This used to be my monthly total.
7) I’ve got plenty of social media ammunition
ALL the runfies!
8) It sucks during but then when I take a look at my mileage…?
If you told me last year (WHEN I STARTED RUNNING) that I’d be running 30+ miles a week I would have cackled a long cackle.
9) every week I’m pretty sure I’m not going to be able to do it, then, I do it.
Every Sunday I look at my training plan like: NOPE.
10) I’m jealous of my friends training for half marathons
oh so your long rung is 5 miles this week? I’m so SO jealous.
11) I want my weekends back!
I miss Saturday morning freedom.
12) I still have to be a mommy/wife/employee when the miles are over
My boys don’t get how exhausted I am to.my.core when I finish my long runs on the weekend. I am still expected to run and walk around like normal Mommy.
13) training dominates my thoughts like no other.
How can I get better? What is the weather like for my run tomorrow? Should I start planning my long run route? Constantly. Every day.
14) when someone asks me how marathon training is going I feel relieved because I have got a LOT to say.
See also #1. A special kind of news broadcast happens when someone asks me about it on purpose. If you ask….be prepared to stay a while.
15) Marathon training has become my ultimate excuse for pretty much everything.
Job lunch? Yes, please pass the food because: marathon training!!
16) I question why I committed to this, every damn day.
17) I live in my marathon groups on fb because they are the only ones that get it.
98.26% of the posts in my timeline are running related. If I haven’t liked my friends posts in a while, that is why. I kinda need to be submerged in daily training updates to know that I am not alone in this madness.
18) I’ve looked at upcoming weeks in my training plan and either a) considered switching plans or b) muttered this can’t be life over and over.
I have looked at literally a million training plans.
19) I’ve registered for pretty much a race every weekend because long runs have just become long torture.
Now that summer streets are over, I am actually responsible for finding somewhere to run 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 & 20 miles on respective weeks. WHAT?! So I’ve registered for races. At some point I have 2 half marathons in a row in back to back weeks.
20) I really, really can’t wait until November 2nd. I’ll be sore, tired but I will be a marathoner.
I’ll do it. I will.