How to Host a Family Friendly Halloween Party
Halloween can be such a fun time for kids. They get to dress up in cute costumes and eat lots of candy. The holiday can also be pretty scary for children if you’re not careful. If you’re planning on hosting a Halloween party this year and you’ll have kids on your guest list, you need to be sure your décor and treats aren’t too terrifying for little ones.
Luckily, it’s pretty simple to throw a fun-filled Halloween party for kids. Follow these simple steps to host a family friendly Halloween party this year.
Plan the Décor
Your party’s decorations will set the mood for the gathering, so picking the right décor is essential. To keep your party family-friendly, stick with playful decorations that aren’t too scary. Seasonal décor, like pumpkins and cornstalks, are a great choice for keeping the party kid-friendly.
Other kid-friendly décor ideas to consider are jack-o-lanterns, witches, and ghosts. The key to making your Halloween party décor family-friendly is to keep it simple and avoid scary imagery whenever you can.
Create a Family-Friendly Menu
Food is often the center of any party, which gives you the chance to create some fun Halloween-themed treats for your guests. When deciding on a party menu, think about how your guests will be eating the food. Are you planning on having a sit-down dinner? Or will your guests eat while they mingle around the party?
In addition to deciding the type of food you’ll serve, also be sure to keep your younger guests in mind when planning your menu. Offering a few kid-friendly selections (like these alien cups!) will ensure all your guests have something delicious to eat.
Aside from having the go-ahead to eat extra candy, getting to dress up in fun costumes is probably most kids’ favorite part of Halloween. When you invite your guests to your family friendly Halloween party, be sure to encourage both kids and adults to come in costume.
To make things even more fun, consider hosting a costume contest with prizes in different categories (best costume, cutest costume, funniest costume, scariest costume, etc.).
Halloween Party Entertainment
If you plan on having kids at your Halloween party, planning entertainment is a must. There are a variety of ways you can keep your young party guests entertained at a family friendly Halloween party. Consider setting up a pumpkin decorating station with mini pumpkins and decorating options like paint, markers or stickers for them to choose from.
Or make a Halloween craft station with an easy-to-make Halloween-themed art project the kids can put together on their own. In addition to keeping the kids occupied throughout the event, having planned entertainment options will also ensure the adults are having a good time, too!
Don’t forget the halloween games! Here are 47 different Halloween game ideas to choose from!
Check out these party friendly Ghost Rice Krispie Treats!
Ghost Rice Krispie Treats
This super fun and easy ghost rice krispie treats recipe is perfect for Halloween parties!
- 8 ct package of Kellogg's Rice Krispie Treats
- 12 oz Wilton white candy melts
- 12 oz Black candy melts
- Small paring knife
- Small sandwich baggy
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Open the Rice Krispie Treats and discard the wrappers.
- Using the small paring knife, carefully cut a small piece of the top corners and use your fingers to gently round the treat to look like a ghost and insert one popsicle or lollipop stick into the base.
- Repeat with all the treats and place on the baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet in the fridge for 25 minutes.
- Pour the Wilton white candy melts into a microwave safe dish and heat in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring occasionally until melted.
- After 25 minutes, remove the Rice Krispie Treats from the fridge and dip into the melted chocolate using a spoon to completely coat the treat. Allow the excess to drip back into the bowl.
- Place the chocolate coated treat on the baking sheet.
- Once all the ghosts are dipped in chocolate allow the chocolate to set.
- Add 1/2 a cup of black candy melts to the small sandwich baggy. Seal shut and heat in the microwave in 15 second increments until melted.
- Snip the corner of the sandwich baggy and gently squeeze the chocolate from the baggy giving the ghosts two eyes and a circle mouth.
- Repeat with all treats.
Hi! I’m Nellie. I am a busy mama of three, wife to my high school sweetheart who loves to cook, workout and stay organized! I love to share helpful printables, the best recipes and fitness tips for the modern mom. I strongly believe that every mom can feed their family well, take proper care of themselves and have fun along the way! Read my story.
Get comfortable and be sure to come hang out with me on social. Don’t grab your free fitness journal before you go!
Monday 25th of October 2021
Thanks for sharing this great idea. I'm sure everyone in my family will like it.
Saturday 11th of April 2020
You give really easy party tips. You have a keen interest in all this. Love your blog.
Tuesday 10th of September 2019
Great Halloween Party tips and will have to keep in mind if we throw a party here this year. Oh, and your Ghost treats are adorable, too!! )