I have always had mixed feelings about Klout. One minute I think it’s awesome, the next minute I think it is incredibly annoying. Before I started blogging years ago when Klout first debuted, there were some really angry people in the blogosphere. Some people felt as if the rating system was unfair. I have recently paid more attention to my Klout score and have had some successes raising it. Here are my top 7 ways to increase your Klout score.
What is Klout?
According to Wikipedia: Klout is a website and mobile app that uses social media analytics to rank its users according to online social influence via the “Klout Score”, which is a numerical value between 1 and 100.
Do you need Klout?
Depends. There was a big debate at Blogging While Brown on how “important” Klout scores are. Every conference I go to, it is usually split right down the middle. Some brands want high Klout scores, some don’t care. If you are making your blog your business then I think it is important to be prepared. Your Klout score may make a difference between landing a campaign or not.
7 Ways To Increase Your Klout Score
1) Try different networks: I have two twitter accounts and like most bloggers I have a fan page page for my blog. However when I connected my Facebook fan page page my score dropped 10 points as opposed to when I connected my personal page. My twitter influence is much higher on my blog twitter than on my personal twitter. So it makes sense to play around with different network ids to see which ones give you the highest score (The only downfall is that it may take 24-48 hours to see the change with Klout, so be patient!)
2) Be ACTIVE on all forms of Social Media: So I am all over the place, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and recently I have renewed my interest in Foursquare. Since Klout measures you on influence, it makes sense to be on all forms of social media. Not only do you need to be there, you need to be active. For example: I was an early adopter of Foursquare. Before I started blogging, and I was really only on Facebook–I met Foursquare and fell in love. Years later, now that I know the dangers of checking in somewhere as you arrive, I really only check in as I leave. However, because I loved the app so much years ago, I now have over 200 check-ins from years ago which helps my Klout Score.
3) Facebook friend your blogger friends: Facebook friendship weigh a lot in your Klout Score. If you already have built fantastic relationships with your bloggy friends, you already like their page, then why not be their Facebook friend as well. It is more than likely they are doing the most with social media just as you are, and when you friend them it shows Klout that you have very influential people in your circle and that raises your score!
4) Ask Questions: Another very important part of raising your score is engagement. If you are on twitter, ask questions. People with high klout scores that interact with you actually raises your score as well. It is not always about follower numbers it is about WHO you interact with and WHO interacts with you. Ask questions on your personal page, on your twitter, on your Instagram and etc. Even interaction on LinkedIn works in your favor!
5) Insta-power!: Instagram is a quick and easy way to improve your score. There are a lot of people on Instagram, but if you can get other influencers to like your pics, then you are 2 steps ahead of the game. The easiest way to do this is not be super over bearing with your picture posting, make sure the photos are high quality (great light, subject matter) and don’t forget a caption. It is important to post at a peak time, so consider your audience (timezone etc) when you are posting.
6) Engage Brands: On twitter we often seen major brands with millions of followers. Usually their follow back ratio is low therefore they are considered to have more influence. When they tweet you back and/or retweet your tweet that helps to kick up your score as well. Lately brands are flocking to social media and starting to understand how important engagement is, so if you tweet them, there is a high chance they will tweet you back!
7) Get Your Friends To +K you!: This does not carry as much weight as your engagement on Facebook or Instagram BUT every little bit helps! I have gotten only 3 +k’s from people but yet it counts for 2% of my overall score, so imagine what it could be if you had a lot! Each account get 10 +k’s per day and it is very similar to the Google Plus “+1”. Instead the person is saying that you have Klout in a certain area, for example I got +k’s for blogging and fitness.
Here is an example of my most influential posts over the past week:
My instagram photo from the Beyonce concert got a lot of likes, but because I had a lot of folks with influence like my photo it gave me some Klout Juice!
So there are my 7 Easy Ways to Increase Your Klout Score. DO you have any more tips? Share them in the comments!