– 2 tart apples, diced – 3⁄4 cup cherries, chopped – ◦ fresh, frozen, or maraschino will all work – 1 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour – 2/3 cup milk – 1⁄2 cup brown sugar – 1 egg – 2 TBSP butter, melted – 2 tsp vanilla extract – 2 tsp baking powder – 1⁄2 tsp cinnamon – 1⁄4 tsp nutmeg – 1⁄4 tsp salt – vegetable oil or olive oil for frying +more
Here are the easy directions!
1. Gather ingredients. 2. In a medium size bowl, sift flour, baking powder, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside. 3. In a small bowl, beat together milk, egg, vanilla, and melted butter.
1. Gradually mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients, until batter is smooth. 2. Peel and dice apples and add to fritter batter mixture. 3. Chop cherries and add to batter. Set aside.
1. Prepare icing by combining powdered sugar and milk, in a small bowl, until smooth and creamy. Set aside. 2. Add oil to skillet and heat to 360°. Use candy thermometer if needed. If you don't have either, you can heat the skillet on medium-high heat and test the oil by dropping in a small amount of batter. If it is sizzling and frying, then the temperature is good, if not, turn up the heat a little.
1. Carefully drop large spoonfuls of batter into the oil. As it browns, use a slotted spoon/spatula to flip the fritters and fry on the other side. These should only take 1 1⁄2 – 2 minutes per side. You can test the first fritter to make sure the center is done. 2. Transfer the fritters to paper towel to drain and then place on a wire rack to cool slightly. 3. When your batch of fritters are ready and cooled slightly, drizzle with icing.
Ready to make these awesome treats?