These super fun and spooky Brain Cupcakes are super fun to make for Halloween parties. Cupcakes of your choice, vanilla buttercream and red gel food coloring bring these spooky cupcakes to life!
What are brain cupcakes?
Brain cupcakes are simply cupcakes that have been decorated to look like brains. They are super easy to make and are always a big hit at Halloween parties! All you need is some cupcakes, vanilla buttercream, and red gel food coloring.
What flavor cupcakes should I use?
You can use any flavor cupcake you like! However, we think vanilla or chocolate cupcakes work best since they provide a neutral background for the brain decoration.
How do I make brain cupcakes?
Making brain cupcakes is super easy! Simply bake your favorite cupcakes and let them cool completely (or purchase them already made). Then, pipe on some vanilla buttercream using a piping bag fitted with a star tip. Finally, use red gel food coloring to add some veins and arteries. That’s it!
What is the best buttercream for brain cupcakes?
We think that vanilla buttercream works best for brain cupcakes since it provides a neutral background for the decoration. However, feel free to use any flavor buttercream you like!
Do I need a piping bag to make brain cupcakes?
No, you don’t need a piping bag to make brain cupcakes. You can simply spread the buttercream on with a spatula. However, we think that using a piping bag gives the cupcakes a more polished look.
What is red gel food coloring?
Red gel food coloring is a type of food coloring that comes in a gel form. It is much more concentrated than liquid food coloring, so you only need to use a little bit to get a lot of color. You can find red gel food coloring at most craft stores or online.
How do I store brain cupcakes?
Brain cupcakes are best stored in an airtight container at room temperature. They will keep for up to 3 days.
We hope you enjoy these spooky and fun brain cupcakes! Happy Halloween!
These spooky brain cupcakes will be the star of any Halloween party!
- 24 prebaked cupcakes
- 3 cups vanilla buttercream
- Red gel Food coloring tube or 2 tbsp corn syrup
- Add vanilla buttercream into a piping bag with Tip 5 or 14 with a coupler
- Make two lines of icing across the middle of the cupcake.
- Make sure you lift the piping bag over the cupcakes and allow the icing to fall (this helps keep the shape)
- Make a tight zigzag line on either side of the two straight lines
- Make a second tight zigzag line
- For a cleaner final presentation use a bottle of red gel sparkle food coloring
- For the more gruesome presentation mix 2 tbsp corn syrup with 2 drops red gel food coloring.
- Pipe the red along the ridges of the buttercream
Using corn syrup will cause the “blood” to run.
If using the gel color from the tube, you will need about 3-4 of them
Amount Per Serving Calories 378Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 17mgSodium 265mgCarbohydrates 45gFiber 2gSugar 35gProtein 3g
Pin it for later!
If you enjoyed this recipe be sure to check out my Instagram Page for the latest posts!
Before you go, check out these great posts!