If you are looking for a new lunch option check out these New York Italian Style Baked Sandwiches. They are easy to make and taste great!
These delicious sandwiches come with a homemade garlic butter that is incredible! Made with simple ingredients, it brings such an elevated flavor to the sandwich. These sandwiches are also quick to make once everything is prepared.
The outside of the bread gets crispy while inside stays soft and chewy. You can even prepare these ahead of time and freeze, then microwave for a tasty lunch later on.
What gives these New York Italian Style Baked Sandwiches such a good taste are the seasonings, and of course the different cheeses. Provolone cheese is a very popular choice, but there are many options as well.
Mozzarella cheese is sometimes used as the primary cheese because it has such a mild flavor and it melts so nicely. Other times Swiss or Parmesan cheese may be used instead to give a stronger flavor profile. Many people have their own preference on which one to use but in this recipe we use mozzarella and provolone.
What ingredients do you need for these New York Italian Baked Sandwiches?
Homemade Garlic Butter
½ cup unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
¼ cup basil finely chopped
¼ cup parsley finely chopped
2 garlic cloves finely chopped
1 lb ground mild Italian sausage
1 15 oz can of tomato sauce
¼ cup red wine (Optional – adds more depth in flavor)
Pinch of salt
1 tbsp basil chopped
6 sandwich or hot dog buns
6 slices of mozzarella cheese
12 slices of provolone cheese
Finely chopped basil and red onion for garnish
Where would you serve these amazing sandwiches?
These sandwiches would be great for a quick lunch or dinner option. They can also be served at a party or potluck.
These amazing New York Italian Sandwiches are such a great lunch option! Made with a delicious garlic butter, these will be your new favorite
- Homemade Garlic Butter:
- • ½ cup unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- • ¼ cup basil finely chopped
- • ¼ cup parsley finely chopped
- • 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- • 1 lb ground mild Italian sausage
- • 1 15 oz can of tomato sauce
- • ¼ cup red wine (Optional – adds more depth in flavor)
- • Pinch of salt
- • 1 tbsp basil chopped
- • 6 sandwich or hot dog buns
- • 6 slices of mozzarella cheese
- • 12 slices of provolone cheese
- • Finely chopped basil and red onion for garnish
- Start by making the homemade garlic butter. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and beat until whipped and well blended.
- Using a large skillet, brown the Italian sausage, adding in the tomato sauce and red wine. Allow to simmer for about 15 minutes over medium heat. Until the sauce reduces and thickens Remove mixture from heat adding in chopped basil and salt to taste.
- Spread the garlic butter over the inside and tops of buns. Broil on low until buns are golden and butter has melted. Remove buns from the oven and add 1 slice of mozzarella cheese in each bun adding the sausage mixture on top. Top each sandwich with provolone cheese and place back under the broiler until cheese is melted and golden.
- Garnish tops with red onion and basil
- These reheat nicely and do not get soggy due to the mozzarella slices under the sausage mixture.
Amount Per Serving Calories 817Total Fat 59gSaturated Fat 31gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 28gCholesterol 145mgSodium 1810mgCarbohydrates 30gFiber 3gSugar 8gProtein 41g
Pin it for later!
If you enjoyed this recipe be sure to tag and follow us on Instagram for more!
Before you go check out these awesome recipes: