Mint Chocolate Oreo Cookies and Cream Cake is such a fun recipe to make for St. Patrick’s Day or anytime! The oreo lovers in your life will love this dessert!
Have you ever tried a Oreo Cookies and Cream cake?
The first time I made one was for my sister’s wedding and it was a huge hit! Oreo cookie lovers went crazy over this cake and I will say, it wasn’t hard to eat the whole thing that we baked!
The mint chocolate combination is perfect for St. Patrick’s Day – or any day – but especially if you need something with a fun twist. This recipe is the one for you! Mint chocolate is delicious!
This cake gets better the next day or even after it has been frozen. It’s amazing! I hope you enjoy this minty Oreo Cookies and Cream treat as much as my family does. If you love oreos, then this one will be a favorite in your household too!
Where do you serve this Mint Chocolate Cookies and Cream cake?
I recommend serving it with a tall glass of milk…or a cup of coffee to enjoy the perfect pairing. Mint Chocolate Oreo Cookies and Cream Cake is a wonderful twist on mint chocolate that everyone loves!
The best part is that you can make this is half the time with boxed cake mix!
Mint Chocolate Oreo Cookies And Cream ingredients:
Chocolate Cake Ingredients
2 (15.25 oz) boxes chocolate, triple chocolate or chocolate fudge cake mix.
6 large eggs
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2 cup water
2 tsp vanilla extract
Mint chocolate cookies buttercream
Ingredients Yields: 3 cups frosting
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1.5 pound powdered sugar
1 tbsp vanilla
1/4 cup heavy cream or half n half
6-8 finely chopped mint Oreos
What equipment will you need to make this awesome oreo layer cake?
2 – 8 inch round cake pans
Non stick spray or cake release
Large Off set spatula
Hand or stand mixer W paddle attachment
16 inch piping bags
For best results be sure to freeze the layers of cake overnight!
Enjoy and let me know how much you love it!
This fun Mint Chocolate Cookies and Cream cake is great for St. Patrick's day or anytime!
- Chocolate Cake Ingredients
- 2 (15.25 oz) boxes chocolate, triple chocolate or chocolate fudge cake mix.
- 6 large eggs
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cup water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Mint chocolate cookies buttercream
- Ingredients Yields: 3 cups frosting
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1.5 pound powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or half n half
- 6-8 finely chopped mint Oreos
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Spray two 8 inch round cake pans with non-stick spray or cake release
- Add all ingredients to an electric hand or stand mixer.
- Beat until well combined.
- Pour into prepared baking pans and bake for 35-40 mins.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for at least an hour.
- After an about, use a serrated knife to remove the "dome" from the cake.
- Wrap each cake in plastic wrap and freeze for at least 2 hours.
- This step is critical. Chocolate cakes produce more crumbs than non-chocolate cake. Decorating a frozen cake will help eliminate cake crumbs in the frosting later.
- After cake layers are frozen, make the buttercream.
- Cream butter and shortening together.
- Add powdered sugar, vanilla, and half of the liquid to the bowl.
- Mix until incorporated.
- Add one drop of green gel food coloring (electric green is pictured, but mint or leaf green would work)
- Finely chop 6-8 mint Oreos and add to the frosting
- Add in half of the remaining heavy cream.
- Mix on high for 5-7 mins, the frosting will double in size, the color will lighten and the texture will become silky
- Only add the last .05 tbsp of liquid if needed.
- Add frosting to the first layer of cake (I used a standard-sized ice cream scooper for this).
- Use an offset spatula to spread buttercream on the cake.
- Add chopped Oreos to give it an extra crunch.
- Place top layer of cake over it sandwiching the frosting and Oreos.
- To reduce cake crumbs, always "frost the frosting."
- Using a large offset spatula spread the frosting onto the side of the cake.
- Once you make the initial frosting constant, as you move around the cake only add frosting to frosting all the way around.
- It doesn't need to be smooth or perfect, just frost the entire cake before removing any excess.
- Use a butter knife (or spoon), starting at the base of the cake pull in an upward diagonal motion to create a rustic design.
- Smooth out the top of the cake with your offset spatula.
- Add additional frosting to a piping bag fitted with a 1M tip.
- Place Mint Oreos around the top of the cake and fill in the gaps with piped buttercream.
If you use pans large than 8 inches, increase the amount of buttercream.
The Oreos for the buttercream needs to be FINELY chopped or else it will get stuck in the piping tip.
If it gets stuck, don't try to forcefully squeeze it out (you'll burst the piping bag) use a knife to unclog the tip.
Amount Per Serving Calories 1172Total Fat 64gSaturated Fat 21gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 38gCholesterol 159mgSodium 332mgCarbohydrates 151gFiber 2gSugar 139gProtein 6g
Pin it for later!
If you enjoyed this recipe be sure to check out my Instagram Page for the latest posts!
Before you go, check out these great posts!