Homemade Thin Crust Pizza & Marinara Sauce
Pizza and Netflix anyone? Pizza has to be one of the most convenient variable and cheapest meals available. Whether you want to make it yourself, buy one to ‘shove’ in the oven, order one for home delivery or even go out to a restaurant and have your meal there. I’ve got a awesome homemade thin crust pizza recipe you can make from scratch and add whatever toppings you like!
Which ever you decide on, it is likely to be one of the cheapest options and probably will satisfy everyone at the table!
How do we make pizza healthy?
Lets face it, it is pretty difficult to find a ‘fast-food’ that we could call ‘healthy’ isn’t it? Ok, so here are a few things to think about, from a health perspective, when deciding on a pizza: If you want to make your own pizza at home you could find an easy recipe for the base, or else most grocery stores sell the bases separately, so that you can put the toppings etc on yourself.
By making the pizza yourself, it also means that you can cater for everyone in the house – or at least having a meal that is. You already have a base, so you add the tomato base, as much or as little as you want, then, the cheese.
Now making your pizza healthy is really easy, use a low fat cheese or a light cheese which reduces the number of calories. Then, toppings: different meat, veg etc.
When it comes to having extra sauces and cheese for taste, that is up to you. If you find your pizza to be a little bland, add some herbs and spices to the crust and bast even a little salt if needed, this adds great flavor without unhealthy ingredients.
Instead of fully loading the pizza, by just adding fewer toppings, you can greatly reduce the amount of fats, oils and general calories in your meal while still enjoying your favorite meal.
When it comes to buying a pizza to cook in your oven, having a pizza delivered, or going to eat at a restaurant you can still have a healthier meal even though you can not choose the exact ingredients used.
You will see, on most menus, there are options for different bases; thick, thin, pan, Italian etc. Now by choosing the base which is thinest, there will be less bread, thus you can eat the same sized pizza with fewer calories in total, less food.
Add an extra topping if you need to, or as mentioned above, if available add some herbs and spices to the crust/base.
If you think about it, pizza is nothing aside from, bread(base), tomato and cheese(topping). In total, providing cheese is not added in excess you can have a pretty healthy meal! However, things can get pretty crazy easily when we start adding toppings sauces etc. So really it’s up to you.
Enjoy this amazing homemade thin crust pizza recipe that can be made whole or in individual pizzas for the whole family!
A great recipe for Thin Crust Pizza for the whole family that you can add your favorite toppings to!
- Crust Ingredients:
- • 3 cups flour
- • 1 cup warm water 120° - 130°
- • 3 tbsp olive oil
- • 1 tbsp sugar
- • 2 1⁄4 tsp dry yeast
- • 1 tsp salt
- Sauce Ingredients:
- • 29 oz can tomato puree
- • 2 tbsp tomato paste
- • 1 small onion, chopped
- • 3 garlic cloves, minced
- • 1 tsp oregano
- • 1 tsp salt
- • 1 tsp chili pepper
- • 1⁄2 tsp pepper
- • pinch cayenne to taste
- • 5-6 fresh basil leaves or 1 tsp dried
- Optional Toppings:
- • 16 oz shredded cheese, motzarella, pepper jack
- • Parmessan cheese
- • Mushrooms
- • Pepperoni
- • Yellow bell pepper
- • Green olives
- • Jalepeno, seeded and finely chopped
- Prep dough first because it needs to set and rise until doubled, approximately 1 hour.
- Combine sugar and yeast to warm water, stir, and let proof.
- Mix salt into flour in a mixer bowl. Add olive oil and proofed yeast mixture.
- Knead with dough hook or by hand for 3-5 minutes.
- Place in an oiled bowl and cover with a moist towel for 1 hour or until dough has doubled.
- Prep sauce: saute onion in pan until translucent in color, add minced garlic and stir slightly before adding tomato pure and paste. Mix in spices and heat on a low simmer for 20 minutes.
- Prep and chop desired toppings.
- Prep pizza dough by dividing and forming into shapes with your hands and by placing on the baking sheet and pressing and moving the dough toward the edges. For family size divide the dough in half, for personal size pizzas, divide the dough into 8 portions.
- Turn oven to 425° and bake pizza dough for 5 minutes.
- Remove pizza dough from oven, add sauce, cheese, and toppings. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes or until cheese is golden brown.