This Homemade Apple Pie From Scratch With Crust is great to make for holidays or a really fun dessert! Simple ingredients make a tasty pie!
Where did Apple Pie originate?
The first recipe for apple pie was published in England in 1381. The pie consisted of a pastry crust filled with a mixture of sweetened apples and spices.
Apple pies were brought to America by the early settlers. They were a popular dessert among the colonists because they could be made with locally grown apples.
Apple pies became even more popular after the Revolutionary War. The fruit was a symbol of American independence and apple pies were served at many patriotic gatherings.
What kind of apples are best for pie?
The best apples for pie are the ones that are tart and firm. They should also be able to hold their shape when cooked. Some good choices for pie apples include Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, and Braeburn.
How do you make an Apple Pie from scratch?
5-6 Granny Smith apples
1-9 inch pie crust
1-9 inch rolled pie crust
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp apple pie spice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp corn starch or (2 tsp) all purpose flour
What tools do you need to make this apple pie?
What can you serve with this amazing homemade apple pie?
There are a few different ways that you can serve this pie. It is delicious on its own, or you could add a scoop of vanilla ice cream. You could also top it with some whipped cream.
This pie would be perfect for any holiday or special occasion!
How long will this apple pie keep?
This pie is best eaten within 2-3 days of being made. However, it will still be tasty for up to a week if stored properly.
How do you store this apple pie?
You should store this pie in the fridge, covered tightly with foil or plastic wrap.
Can you freeze this apple pie?
Yes! This pie freezes really well. Just wrap it tightly with foil or plastic wrap and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
When you are ready to eat the pie, thaw it overnight in the fridge and then reheat in a 350 degree oven until warmed through.
What makes this the best Apple Pie recipe?
This is the best apple pie recipe because it is made completely from scratch. The crust is flaky and buttery, and the filling is packed with flavor. This pie is sure to be a hit at your next party or family gathering!
This homemade apple pie has a gorgeous crust made from scratch and it's perfect for the holidays!
- 5-6 Granny Smith apples
- 1-9 inch pie crust
- 1-9 inch rolled pie crust
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp apple pie spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cornstarch or (2 tsp) all purpose flour
- Peel and slice granny smith apples.
- Place in a bowl of ice water with a tbsp of lemon juice to prevent browning while chopping.
- Melt butter in a skillet.
- Drain the apples and add them to the melted butter
- Add brown sugar, cinnamon, and apple pie spice.
- Cook apples for about 5-6 mins.
- Strain the sauce from the apples using a strainer.
- Pour the liquid back into the pan
- Add the cornstarch to 1 tbsp water and pour into the pan.
- Add the vanilla and bring to a boil
- Stir as the sauce thickens and reduce the heat once thick
- Return apples to pan and toss in the sauce.
- Pour into prepared pie crust.
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- For the lattice top crust
- Roll out the top crust.
- Using the Pastry Wheel Cutter, cut even strips of dough 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch wide.
- Lay the strips across the pie.
- Carefully weave in the additional strips going the opposite direction.
- Using flower mold, press dough into molds, and carefully remove
- Use egg wash to "glue " flowers onto strips
- Use a leaf mold or cut dough in circles and then slice those in half.
- Press the leaves into form and glue to the dough with egg wash.
- Brush entire pie with egg wash or heavy cream
- Sprinkle with coarse sugar
- Cover the edges with aluminum foil
- Bake for 20 mins, then remove the foil.
- Bake for an additional 20 mins or until golden brown and bubbly.
- Let set for 10-15 mins before serving.
Amount Per Serving Calories 334Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 0mgSodium 168mgCarbohydrates 56gFiber 4gSugar 24gProtein 4g
Pin it for later!
If you enjoyed this recipe be sure to check out my Instagram Page for the latest posts!
Before you go, check out these great posts!