As you know we have been spending a lot of extra time at home lately so it’s a more than perfect time to work on baking skills. With 3 kids, the food goes FAST around here! Today I’ve got a super easy healthy carrot muffin recipe that is great for breakfast or even a snack!
There are so many different kinds of muffins, I honestly didn’t realize how many different types of muffins there really are until I started working a corporate job in the city. There would be these huge delis that were just supersized.
You could literally walk into the store every single day for a good 3-4 months and never get the same thing twice. This is where my muffin addiction started.
There were so many to choose from! Between the different chocolate kinds, the cinnamon, the vanilla, the red velvet to the traditional corn muffin–it was so hard to choose from! They even had yogurt specific muffins! I’ll be honest those were my favorite. I think there was one time where I actually tried 20 different types of muffins for breakfast before work! (Ah to be in my 20s again with a super fast metabolism!)
No Sugar Healthy Carrot Muffins
The ingredients for this recipe are super simple! The best part about this recipe is that there is NO sugar needed! You likely have most of the ingredients right there in your pantry. Plus to save some time grab a bag of the pre shredded carrots at the grocery store.
1 cup applesauce
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup grated carrots (approximately 3 carrots)
By substituting applesauce and honey there is no need to use sugar! The applesauce and honey provide the much needed sweetness and tastiness to these healthy carrot muffins. Plus the vegetable is a great way to sneak in veggies into a yummy treat!
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat floour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup grated carrots (approximately 3 carrots)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, applesauce, honey, melted butter and vanilla extract. Stir until fully combined. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Add half of the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, stir well, then add the carrots. Combine fully before adding remaining flour mixture.
- Line a muffin pan with paper or silicone liners, and then portion 1/4 cup of batter into each liner.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool in the muffin pan for 2 minutes.
Amount Per Serving Calories 100Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 14mgSodium 129mgCarbohydrates 18gFiber 2gSugar 8gProtein 2g