A few days ago I was invited to the brand new NYRR Run Center for a really awesome family running class. As you know I am super familiar with NYRR since they are responsible for 90% of all the races I run including my beloved Brooklyn Half Marathon and New York City Marathon. This time, we all got to learn as a family about proper running techniques, warm ups and running gear!
Since it’s early March in NYC the weather wasn’t terrible, but it wasn’t exactly warm either. When we arrived we learned that the class would be done in two parts–Part one would be indoors teaching kids about how to use proper running posture (by putting a bean bag on their heads), or walking in big exaggerated steps to be more aware of form. Needless to say the boys had a blast and were super engaged with the awesome coaches.
Family Running Class In Central Park
We all took a very quick walk over to Central Park to do some fun outdoor activities. A few of the tips I learned just watching this group:
- Have FUN: There were a ton of different activities, including relay races, hopping on one foot through the net, practicing footwork, playing tag–the kids never ever got bored. When one thinks of how to get the family running, it doesn’t always have to do with how much mileage. For kids to be engaged, they need to be having FUN. That doesn’t always include running from point a to point b.
- Get Silly too: There was a section where all of the adults and the kids were walking and running as if we were monsters. I can guarantee you that I’ve never done THIS before in Central Park but my kids were giggling and guess what, so was I!
- There is a point to the silly: It’s important to make proper form fun, exaggerate the arms, emphasize the straightness of your back, set challenge markers and celebrate them when they reach it. Do the same warm ups that you do as an adult–butt kicks, high knees, stretching. Instill good habits and principles for running.
- Use fun equipment: For our running class we used agility ladders, bean bags and cones to teach the fundamentals of running. The props helped to keep the kids focused on something physical instead of distance.
Check out this fun video of our Family Running Class In Central Park!
Rising New York Road Runners Family Running Class
Join New York Road Runners’ youth staff for a one-hour coach-led session for families with youth runners! The hour will combine exercise and education so both kids and adults can learn and foster healthy relationships with running exercises.
Upcoming Family Running Class Schedule:
- Saturday, March 24, 11:00a.m.—12:00p.m.
- Saturday, April 21, 11:00a.m.—12:00p.m.
- Sunday, May 20, 11:00a.m.—12:00p.m.
- Saturday, June 23, 11:00a.m.—12:00p.m.
NYRR Rising New York Road Runners
What is Rising New York Road Runners?
Rising New York Road Runners, NYRR’s new youth program and events platform, is built to develop movement skills in kids through a mix of running and fitness activities. The program is designed to help kids build their confidence, their motivation, and their desire to be physically active for life.
Rising New York Road Runners is an evolution of our existing youth efforts: It continues and enhances our free youth programs in schools, after-school programs, and community centers nationwide, as well as our free events in New York City.
Rising New York Road Runners serves kids in NYC and nationwide, from pre-K through 12th grade.
I know this is the year that I finally sign my kids up for some road races! NYRR often holds the kids races on the same day as the adult races. The environment is always SO much fun, and if I time it right, I may be able to participate in the race too! The distances are perfect for kids (depends on age) and the best part is that they are free to register! Check out more about the youth running programs and get your kid involved here!
New Balance Family Running Gear
After we were done with our fantastic running class, we got a mini class on how to pick the perfect running shoe. We talked about pronation and neutral foot types and although I am immensely aware that I am a super pronator, it was nice to hear the information again.
After our session we were professionally individually fitted for the perfect shoe right inside of the Run Center at the New Balance Run Hub! All you have to do is stand on the device and it tells you everything you need to know about your feet!
I’m so used to running on treadmills, and doing a lot of work and the data of my feet was sent directly to the tablet. I was able to get these awesome sneakers, perfect for my particular feet and my husband was able to get some really cool ones for his very neutral feet.
We had a fantastic time, learned a lot and can’t wait to get the kids involved in their first youth run!
[clickToTweet tweet=”So how exactly do you get your family running? @NYRR has the answer! #NYRRSponsored #RisingNYRR” quote=”So how exactly do you get your family running? @NYRR has the answer! #NYRRSponsored #RisingNYRR”]
Do you workout with your kids? Do you think they would run with you?