This Slow Cooker Jerk Chicken Thighs Recipe is so good and easy to make! The caribbean flavors of this dish is so great with a side of rice and vegetables.
Where did the term Jerk originate when it comes to seasoning?
Jerk is a style of cooking native to Jamaica that dates back as far as the 1600s. The term comes from the Spanish word Charqui, which means “dried meat”.
Over time, this evolved into the English word “Jerk” which became associated with the spiced marinade used in Jerk cooking. The marinade usually consists of a combination of hot peppers, allspice, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg and other spices.
This Slow Cooker Jerk Chicken Thighs Recipe combines the authentic flavors of jerk seasoning for a delicious dinner that is sure to please everyone in your family.
You can adjust the heat level to make it as mild or spicy as you like. Serve with a side of rice and vegetables for a complete meal!
Can you make chicken thighs in the slow cooker?
Yes, chicken thighs are a great option for slow cooking! They are full of flavor and are much more forgiving than other cuts of poultry. Chicken thighs also hold up well to long cooking times, making them perfect for the slow cooker.
Be sure to brown the chicken before adding it to the slow cooker for best results. This will help create a flavorful crust and will help the chicken to stay juicy throughout the cooking process.
What are some other fun Caribbean Dishes that I can try?
- Easy Jamaican Festival Sweet Dumplings Recipe
- Authentic Jamaican Curry Chicken Recipe
- The Best Jamaican Jerk Sauce Recipe
- Easy Authentic Jamaican Stew Chicken
- The Best Authentic Jamaican Jerk Chicken Recipe
- The Best Jamaican Rasta Pasta Recipe – Add Your Favorite Protein!
- Air Fryer Sweet Fried Plantains – Healthy Twist On A Classic Dish
Each of these dishes provides a unique and flavorful mix of spices that will transport you to the islands! Try one or all of them for a complete Caribbean-inspired dinner.
Where can I serve this Slow Cooker Jerk Chicken recipe?
This Slow Cooker Jerk Chicken Thighs Recipe is great for a weeknight dinner or to serve at parties and gatherings. The flavors are so delicious, you could even make them into sandwiches with a Caribbean-inspired coleslaw tucked inside! You can also serve this dish over this authentic rice and peas recipe.
Can you freeze these Caribbean flavored chicken thighs?
Yes, you can absolutely freeze these Slow Cooker Jerk Chicken Thighs. Be sure to cool the chicken completely before transferring it to an airtight container for freezing.
When ready to enjoy, thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then reheat in a 350 degree oven until heated through. It’s best not to microwave when reheating as this can make the chicken dry.
This super flavorful Jerk Chicken thighs recipe is made perfectly delicious in the slow cooker!
- 1 (4 to 5 pound) package chicken thighs
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons jerk seasoning blend
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- Prepare the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the chicken thighs into the bottom of the slow cooker.
- In a large measuring cup or small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Pour the juice mixture over the top of the chicken.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours.
- If a crispier skin is desired, preheat the broiler of the oven. Prepare a large, rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and spritz with nonstick cooking spray. Remove the chicken thighs from the slow cooker and place on the prepared baking sheet. Put under the hot broiler for approximately 5 minutes, watching closely, or until the skins have reached the desired crispiness.
Amount Per Serving Calories 69Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 28mgSodium 638mgCarbohydrates 4gFiber 0gSugar 2gProtein 6g
Pin it for later!
If you enjoyed this recipe be sure to check out my Instagram Page for the latest posts!
Before you go, check out these great posts!