This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Applebee’s. The opinions and text are all mine.
Last January, I bit the bullet and I signed up for my third NYC Marathon. After taking a year off from running it, I missed the race something terrible in 2017. I had so many FEELINGS about the race and honestly I felt like I should have been there. I initially took a break because I thought I may have been done with marathons, but all the break did was solidify that not only was I *not* done but I actually may have a few more in me!
However, the universe had other plans and decided to bless me with a daughter in 2018, and have her due date be on the the same weekend as the TCS New York City Marathon! (Oh the irony!) So while I will be in recovery from my surgery, I will be my heart will be on the pavement with the over 50,000 runners that will be hitting the 5 boroughs on NYC on Sunday November 3rd.
Today I am sharing some of my favorite carb loading/nutrition tips for the any marathon!
- Don’t change much: During the week of the marathon you may be filled with butterflies and nerves but there is no reason to eat a ton. The majority of your training is complete with just a few runs left, so your calorie intake need not be ginormous. Eat normal meals.
- Drink Up: Drink ALL the water! Don’t over do it, but absolutely up your water intake. You will lose a lot of fluid on the course, so DO NOT wait until the day before to start upping your water intake. This is SO important. Spend the week before making sure that you are completely hydrated, most recommend drinking half your body weight in ounces.
- Get your carb on: Carbohydrates are so important for your body during marathons because it is a continued source of energy. I *do not* recommend eating anything you don’t already love but carbs generally are a great idea leading up to a race. You will NEED all of that stored energy on race day!
Check it out NYC –> On November 3rd from 4pm – 6pm, Applebee’s will help people fuel up for the 2018 TCS New York City Marathon. Registered runners who snag a reservation for the Pastathon can come (with a guest!) to the Applebee’s at 205 W. 50 St in New York City and dig into a FREE bowl of pasta! You can’t get any better than that! Plus you will be around other runners and partake in the race day excitement!
Just in time for the big weekend, Applebee’s has a brand NEW Neighborhood Pasta and Signature Breadstick Menu – five pasta dishes that each come with a Signature Breadstick, starting at $11.99. You also get a caesar salad, and a refillable, non-alcoholic soft drink to go with it! Check out the new menu:
- Classic Broccoli Chicken Alfredo
- Chef Bulgarelli’s Stuffed Rigatoni and Tomato Meat Sauce
- Creamy Penne Pasta with Sliced Prime Rib
- Cajun Pasta with Blackened Shrimp
- Cajun Pasta with Blackened Chicken
I took my family out to try some of these new dishes and we had a fabulous time!