Happy Friday yall!
Have you heard the craze over these sweet potato pies?! I have absolutely no interest but it is incredibly fascinating to see how many people ran to Walmart trying to find these pies after watching this viral video. (NSFW – Language!)
The fact that someone enjoying a piece of pie can prompt hundreds of thousands of people to buy a product is mind blowing.
I learned two important things from this:
- One doesn’t need a high profile PR agency to reach the masses and
- People are so serious about their sweet potato pie.
It’s Friday fitness!!
Last week I told you guys I am going to lose 20 pounds. I’ve been thinking a lot about how I’ve lost weight in the past. Let’s take a look shall we?
- 2001: I was fine with my body but I needed a Breast reduction for health reasons. Let’s just say that a size F is not healthy for someone who is 5’3. When I came out of surgery I realized quickly that my new body didn’t match. I joined a gym and worked out like crazy, my diet didn’t change…at all it I still dropped around 15 pounds for pretty perfect size 6/8 figure.
- 2006-2007: I was getting married!! I ordered my dress one size smaller so I had no choice–I worked out 6 times a week and functioned on oatmeal and lean cuisines. Did it! A strong size 8 on my wedding day.
- 2009: Three months postpartum and my weight had ballooned to 14. Even with breastfeeding my weight simply wasn’t moving. I got control and dropped 30 pounds (it took forever but it was worth it). The boom in 2011 my second child was born and I was back up another 40 pounds even though I hardly ate because I was so nauseated the entire ten months. It’s just what my body does to carry babies, and I’m ok with that.
- 2012: I become a Zumba instructor, try out Jamie Eason and the weight starts falling off again.
Looking back, the most successful times included using MyFitnessPal and working at least 5-6 times a week.
Unfortunately working out 5-6 times weekly has come to a grinding halt. Since I’m responsible for dropping off AND picking up my children the only time I get is lunch time and since there are company sponsored lunches every Friday, I’m left with 4 days…but when things get crazy busy I really can’t leave during the day which leaves me with get it when you can.
This week I was able to get in two lunch time workouts which I enjoyed thoroughly. Lots of bang for my buck with body weight exercises. I also used the jump rope Adam Rosante gave me at the GoodnessKnows event. It was nice to just jump.
I’ve decided to approach this weight loss with a lot less stress. There won’t be guilt if I have a cheeseburger. I will acknowledge and move on. I will make super conscious decisions and work hard to make it happen.
Wins of the Week
A friend, an amazing friend named Leslie who is super supportive and awesome said something in her comment on last weeks post that stuck with me. She said stop beating yourself up, you ran a marathon now you can move on. She’s right. Every week I will celebrate the little things because that is really what life (and this journey) is all about.
- I get to see my old coworkers tonight yall. My coworkers! You know how hard it was for me to leave them 4 months ago–so I’m looking forward to all the laughs and hugs. They are my family.
- I won a brand new cordless Hoover Vacuum at a Hoover event earlier this week!
- I ate reasonably well considering its shark week.
- I reconnected with one of my best girlfriends after marathon training and other life issues got in the way. I apologized, she accepted. My biggest win of the week.
- I got to spend one on one time with my eldest. <3
And because I couldn’t leave you without making you smile, check out this video that is the soundtrack of my life (and maybe yours too!) 🙂