Home diet One Year Ago Today: The Illness that changed my life

{Disclaimer} I’m about to get really real about the illness that I came down with last year, if you have a queasy stomach, or don’t like hospital stories, run away…now! I forgive you 🙂

A year ago today I was admitted into the hospital, it was one of the scariest things to ever happen in my life. I was in a constant state of shock, fear, loneliness and depression. It changed who I am forever, and I am grateful for that. This is my story.

Let’s rewind to June 2009 where it all began. My son was 4 months old! I told my husband that I was in the mood for some Shake Shack (one of the best burgers in NYC) shortly after I finished, I had an overwhelming urge to puke. First thing I thought, crap I’m pregnant! Second thing I thought, man they sold me a bad burger! The feeling thankfully went away, but I didn’t eat anything else for the rest of the day.

For the next 6 or so months, I started waking up in the middle of the night with immense pain and puking my guts out. It would happen mostly after eating junk food, usually on the weekends but no more than 4 times a week.

I began to call them “episodes”. I would drag myself into work after puking the night before exhausted and unfocused. I knew I had to do something, my husband began threatening me to go to the doctor. Somehow in my head, I thought it was nothing, that maybe I had eaten the wrong foods etc. etc. I gave myself every excuse in the book.

Until one night after puking, I could barely stand. My husband called 911 and my mom took me to the hospital in an ambulance. After waiting for about 3 hours in the ER, the doctor scanned my belly, gave me a prescription for a laxative and told me to go to the bathroom.

So simple!

Except, the pain and puking continued—even after I “cleaned” myself out.

My next visit was to my doctor who sent me immediately for and ultrasound. I went, and since they saw nothing, he said it might have been a bad case of mono. Okay.

Again, the pain and puking continued, to the point where I had become a master of puking and told my husband that I could teach a bulimic a thing or two. LOL

But by May 2010, almost a year later after it all began, I started to hear a little voice tell me something is wrong. I ignored that voice.

One day I got fed up with the puking and pain and lack of sleep. I knew it wasn’t a case of constipation, or mono. So I took myself to a gastroenterologist recommended by my best friend. He did an endoscopy on me, told me I had acid reflux and hylopactor plyori. Which was basically a bacterial infection of the colon, nothing to be concerned about and it would have been cleared up with 2 weeks of antibiotics.

Yay! I got the diagnosis 2 days before my trip to the Grand Cayman for my 3 year anniversary. I ate normally on the trip, no puking episodes, and I took my meds every day. I had a follow up endoscopy and everything looked great! I was so excited to finally have been over this problem going on in my body!

Unfortunately, in September 2010, it started again. This time was worse than ever.

I truly didn’t know what to do! I tried curbing my diet, eating better, looking for “trigger foods”. Nothing helped.

(Sidebar: I had also been running myself ragged, going to the gym 6-7 times a week, going to school for my Project Management Certificate, Volunteering, Mommying, Working full-time, My body needed a break and unfortunately, it came in a very painful way)

On the Day of October 30th, I had class. All day. Which meant junk food. All day.

Around 3pm, I started breathing very deeply, while the teacher was teaching I was focusing on one spot on the board to resist crying from the morethanusual pain that was happening on the inside. I was super active and engaging at the start of class, by 4pm I could hardly hold my head up. I texted my husband and told him I was very very sick and it was seriously going to be one of “those” nights.

The train ride was horrific, every bump, every shift was sending me into a pain that I could not manage.

Praise God, I made it home in one piece. I did not eat that night, I kept going to the bathroom—puking and laying back down. My mom came over to visit and I couldn’t even raise myself to see her. (She said later she knew, in her gut, that something was seriously wrong but she couldn’t put her finger on it)

To be continued tomorrow…

You may also like


Grumpy Grateful Mom October 31, 2011 - 5:57 am

Oh no! I’m needing to know what was wrong. I’m so hoping that your found the problem. What a miserable thing!

Eboni Jones October 31, 2011 - 2:29 pm

That sounds scary and I hope you found the cure to your problem. Sorry you had to go threw this. 🙁

Nellie October 31, 2011 - 3:03 pm

It sure was miserable, I finally found out, it was something out of left field too.

Nellie October 31, 2011 - 3:04 pm

I finally did! I’ll have it in detail tomorrow.

Ashley Frederickson October 31, 2011 - 6:02 pm

Wow, what a crazy journey you have been on! I am so sorry you have been through so much. You are inspiration by not stopping through the pain. I hope you are doing better and you have a cure. Thanks for following me! You are beautiful inside and out!

Megan (Best of Fates) November 1, 2011 - 1:02 am

What an intense story – I’m on the edge of my seat.

3 Things That Are Important (That I Never Mention On The Blog) - Brooklyn Active Mama January 26, 2013 - 6:41 pm

[…] you eat turkey? Yes. But only recently after I got sick and had no choice but to start eating super low fat […]


Leave a Comment