10 Amazing Health and Wellness Podcasts for Women of Color
Podcasts are HOT.
I love them, I simply can’t get enough of them. A few months ago I published a list of podcasts that everyone should be listening to, and a few years ago I published a full list of health and wellness podcasts. In a short few years the industry has absolutely exploded with new voices, new niches and a plethora of information. I am always looking for a new podcast as I listen when I am working out, cooking, traveling, or even simply on the train. It is a great way to learn while you multitask!
Although there are thousands and thousands of podcasts these days, there are still a very limited amount of podcasts that serve women of color–especially when it comes to health and wellness. These 10 podcasts cover all kinds of topics from physical health to mental health and even financial health. Being a woman of color allows you to have a unique perspective on our health so it’s super important to have voices that amplify those needs.
Today I am sharing 10 amazing podcasts for women of color. Check them out!
(Updated May 2019)
- Black Girl In Om: “Welcome to your go-to conversation on all things wellness, self-care and self-love for women of color, hosted by Black Girl In Om founder Lauren Ash and Art Direction Deun Ivory. This show uplifts, affirms, informs and features a refreshing line-up of guests–including yogis, holistic life stylists, clean beauty experts, and a plethora of other movers, shakers and innovators within the wellness and beauty industries. This buzz worthy show speaks directly from women of color to women of color and strives to inspire women around the world.” Subscribe on iTunes & Google Play.
- Therapy For Black Girls: “Therapy for Black Girls is an online space dedicated to encouraging the mental wellness of Black women and girls. So often the stigma surrounding mental health issues and therapy prevent Black women from taking the step of seeing a therapist. I developed the space to present mental health topics in a way that feels more accessible and relevant.” Subscribe on iTunes.
- AFFIRM Podcast: The podcast for women of color who affirm their worth, value mental health and seek wholeness. Davia, the founder of Redefine Enough and licensed therapist, will interview a series of guests who will share their journeys of mental health as it relates to self-care, anxiety, depression, religion, and suicide. Biweekly episodes on iTunes, Google Play, & Soundcloud
- Getting Grown: Jade and Keia explore everything that is so hard about adulting! They talk about all topics including maintaining good self care and mental health in a real and relatable manner. This podcast makes you feel like you are hanging out with old girlfriends, if you haven’t listened be sure to catch up on older episodes because there are so many good gems! Listen on iOS
- The WODS and Wellness Show: The WODS and Wellness Show is an independent media company that creates digital content spanning across multiple mediums including podcasting and video. Listen on iOS & Google Play
- The Friend Zone: Listen along every Wednesday as Dustin Ross, HeyFranHey & Assante explore mental health, mental wealth and mental hygiene, because who in the hell wants a musty brain? For the past two years they have been exploring everyday issues and sometimes they have fun throwback episodes that are always so funny! Listen on iTunes.
- With That Being Said: “Every episode is designed to help you learn a little more about living a happier life and having healthier relationships. Most episodes are not about therapy but Esther and Erica always bring a fresh and honest perspective on what therapists’ really talk about off the clock. The hope is that this peek inside the conversations between therapists will shift the perception of therapy and therapists from something to be secretive about to something totally worth sharing.” Listen on iTunes.
- Hey Girl by Alex Elle: hey, girl. is a podcast that unites the voices of phenomenal women near and far. Created with sisterhood and storytelling in mind, author Alex Elle sits down with people who inspire her. From friends to family members and strangers, the hey, girl. guests give us a peek into their stories through candid and intimate conversations. Listen on iTunes.
- Docs: Health and wellness should always be at the top of your priorities. Now with Docs, it can stay that way! Docs delivers the latest on healthy lifestyles, medical options, and overall healthcare that you’ve surely needed. Listen on iTunes.
- Oprah’s SuperSoul Conversations: SuperSoulers, rejoice! Your favorite interviews and aha! moments from SuperSoul Sunday are now part of a new podcast, Oprah’s SuperSoul Conversations. Episodes feature conversations with the world’s top thinkers, teachers and luminaries. Subscribe on iTunes.
[Tweet “Looking for something new to listen to? Check out 10 amazing podcasts for women of color! #woc”]
What are your favorite podcasts?
Hi! I’m Nellie. I am a busy mama of three, wife to my high school sweetheart who loves to cook, workout and stay organized! I love to share helpful printables, the best recipes and fitness tips for the modern mom. I strongly believe that every mom can feed their family well, take proper care of themselves and have fun along the way! Read my story.
Get comfortable and be sure to come hang out with me on social. Don’t grab your free fitness journal before you go!
Sunday 9th of May 2021
I was looking for more African American podcast. Thanks for sharing.
Friday 8th of February 2019
Sometimes you start improving yourself just because of the impact of someone's words, I do listen to podcasts and if the voice is good I enjoy listening to them more, thanks a lot for sharing the list of awesome podcasts, added to my list. :)
Friday 11th of January 2019
I like your list of the podcast, will bookmark your blog and listen to them.
Saturday 15th of September 2018
Podcasts put me to sleep but I need to start listening to them.
Saturday 24th of March 2018
Hmm, appreciatable work. I appreciate you for your great post. I use your many old tips and now some above also I"ll include in my life really very helpful for me as you talk about Podcasts it's very well and a great idea for me from now I'll use these tips. Thanks, NELLIE sister Thanks a lot...