I don’t download a lot of apps for my phone and tablet because I don’t want the kids getting too used to being in front of the screen all the time. I am particularly sensitive to this because my childhood was full of summers where I played on the block from after breakfast until the streetlights came on. The only screen time I had was when my friends and I played Sonic on my SEGA Genesis.
However, these apps are the exception. A few months ago I was invited to meet the creators of the DinoTales and SafariTales app, David Miller & Mark Horneff, over a intimate lunch in the city. They were super nice and walked me through the awesome apps. It was a great lunch and I felt honored to get to know the creators behind these dynamic apps!
Designed for kids ages 3-11, they offer fun and engaging challenges within the prehistoric world that ultimately create a personalized story for parent and child to enjoy. Using innovative technology with the use of SIRI, the child can ask factual questions about the creatures and items they encounter throughout their journey to their own personal sidekick – Darwin. Teeming with wildlife, lava slides, erupting volcanoes, a musical boneyard and more, these games remain enthusiastic while strengthening literacy, reasoning and enquiry skills.
Night at the Museum!
To celebrate the launch of DinoTales and SafariTales in the United States, Kuato Studios threw a very lavish party at the American Museum of Natural History with a lots of stars, kids, and parents!
The kids had the opportunity to play live on big screen TVs with an amazing dinosaur as a centerpiece! How cool is that?
At the end of the night the awesome Uma Thurman read two stories aloud to all of the kids in the room. She was really great and you can tell her kids get the BEST bedtime stories every night!
Here are some of the great features of the apps!
ABOUT DINO TALES & SAFARI TALES
- Designed to strengthen literacy, reasoning and enquiry skills
- Developed alongside students and teachers to ensure that language and content are age-appropriate
- Emphasis on “learnification:” skills that drive learning, with play at its core
- Uses innovative feature, SRI International’s VPA (Virtual Personal Assistant) technology to help children learn more about the creatures and items they encounter during the game
- Generates storybook for kids to read to their parents based on their in-gameactions. At any point, kids can use a series of word wheels to compose questions and Darwin, their sidekick, will provide the answers
There were so many celebrities in attendance too! Guests included: Uma Thurman, Laverne Cox & Dasha Polanco (Orange is the New Black), Josh Lucas, June Ambrose, Keren Craig, Jared Lafrenais and many more.
I completely recommend the app if you have children, it’s super educational, fun and worth the screen time. My favorite part of the app is the fact that they can generate the storybooks for you! In my house we have tons of books but none of them were made by the kids, so this is a cool way to switch things up! 🙂