Home baby 5 Things You Should Consider Before Buying A Car Seat

5 Things You Should Consider Before Buying A Car Seat

5 things you should consider before buying a car seatWhen I was pregnant with my firstborn I hadn’t a clue what I was doing. No, really. I bought so many things that I thought were necessary. For example: a changing table, wipes warmer, an insane amount of bottles (over 20) and many many more things that I would learn that I didn’t need. When you are newly pregnant it is super hard to really know what you would need until you are in the trenches of childcare everyday. evenflo car seat SAMSUNG CSC

One of those things that I didn’t do proper research on (unless proper research counts as checking Amazon.com reviews) was my car seat. Now before the car seat crazies start throwing tomatoes at me, I would like to say in my defense that if I’d known then what I know now, I would have been MUCH more selective of my first car seat. I bought an all in one stroller/car seat combo. Looking back, I wish I had done a bit more I research.

SAMSUNG CSC

Last week I attended a Evenflo event at Blooming Nails & Spa, A gorgeous upscale nail salon with locations all over NYC. We came to learn about the new car seats that would be debuting this summer. This included the ProComfort protection series and the Sure Safe car seat series and let me tell you, both have some awesome features! More on that later.

5 Things You Should Consider Before Buying A Car Seat

1) According to a recent survey 80% of car seats are installed incorrectly. (Have you checked yours recently??)

2) Most car seats have a 6 year expiration date–and it’s not because they are old it’s because the technology of cars is so rapid that car seats designed for current vehicles may not work properly in the future.

3) If you are ever in a crash/accident with a car seat, dispose of it. Better to be safe than sorry!

4) Speaking of disposal if you ever have to get rid of a car seat cut the harnesses to prevent someone from finding it and reusing an old (and dangerous) car seat.

5) Do not buy used car seats! You never know what they have been through… You can’t exactly get the car facts on a car seat right?

Evenflo has two new amazing car seats that are coming out this summer. Evenflo’s main concern is to make the ride as comfortable as possible for the baby yet ultimately keeping them as safe as possible.

evenflo car seats

Evenflo’s Procomfort Symphony DLX All in one car seat

• Fits 5-110 pounds (the only car seat you would ever need!)
  • Multi position recliner
  • Gel matrix material that alleviates pressure points
  • Installs with these amazing Sure latch connectors that makes installation a breeze (I loved this! These little connectors stay in the car so that you don’t have to bury your fingers in the cushions to find the latch! Genius!)
  • Machine washable car seat pad & more
  • Available exclusively at Target!

SAMSUNG CSC SAMSUNG CSC

Evenflo’s SureSafe System (4 models)

• 5-110 pounds
  • Multi position recliner (for sleeping baby)
  • Quick connector latch equipped
  • Buckle pockets that tuck the buckles away (preventing the metal from getting too warm and burning  baby
  • Side impact protection that significantly reduces in side impact crashes through advanced energy absorption
  • … And more!

SAMSUNG CSC

Knowing what know now, I definitely would have started out with one of these models. I am actually quite tempted to replace both of my car seats!

Amazing pedicure

Guests of the event were treated to an amazing pedicure, lunch and even treats. I didn’t taste the cupcakes but they looked so good!

blooming nails pedicure

The nail tech did such a fantastic job on my pedicure, I left feeling like a new woman! There was even a really long foot massage. Plus the decor was beautiful and extremely tranquil. Since I was returning to work that day I was worried about messing up my pretty new toes by putting them back in my loafers. The tech came over and wrapped my toes in saran wrap! Say what?! Genius!!

SAMSUNG CSC

Did you do a lot of research for your first car seat? How many have you owned? What unnecessary items did you buy for baby? When was the last time you got a really, really good pedicure?

Allie June 17, 2014 - 5:24 am

I seriously just want to be you for a day…and please let it be a day when you interview celebrities, walk the red carpet, go to a toy show, get a pedicure and take an amazing yoga/belly dancing class followed by dinner with a view of the skyline. Pretty pretty please???
This makes me want to buy another car seat even though I did do a TON of research before I bought my second round 🙂

Nellie June 20, 2014 - 9:25 pm

LOL when you put it like that even I have to step back and wonder if I have done all those things! LOL! It’s like a never ending roller coaster ride that has peaks and valleys but definitely a lot more peaks! 🙂

Kristina Walters June 17, 2014 - 5:26 am

Great advice Nellie! I will pass it along!

Nellie June 20, 2014 - 9:24 pm

Awesome Kris!

Janine Huldie June 17, 2014 - 7:24 am

Nellie, I am so jealous about the pedicure at the end! But seriously great advice and do remember hearing much of this when we took a childbirth class when I was pregnant for the first time with Emma.

Nellie June 20, 2014 - 9:22 pm

That’s so good that they tell you that info at the class!! I went to a class but they just told us to go to our local firehouse.

Kimberly (Manifest Yourself) June 17, 2014 - 11:07 am

I feel like I need to archive all of these posts for when I have babies! 🙂

Last time I had a good pedicure was last week when I treated myself to a facial, mani, and pedi on a whim. I love a good pedi with a long massage.

Nellie June 20, 2014 - 9:22 pm

YES! You already know I love a good spa 🙂

Britt June 17, 2014 - 12:29 pm

Oh I so need this! My husband is in charge of researching the car seat for our car and choosing the correct one and getting it installed correctly. Did you know there are actually car seat conceirges that do this? I couldn’t believe it!

I love a good pedicure. I’ve been to Blooming before and they are good! So glad you enjoyed the event! 🙂

Nellie June 20, 2014 - 9:21 pm

Yes! I knew about the concierges!! Bloomings is really nice, its so funny I only started to notice them all over the city after I went there!

Tamara June 17, 2014 - 6:07 pm

We had a fireman install ours and he did tell us that most are not done correctly!
I’m laughing because the Evenflo’s Procomfort Symphony DLX All in one car seat can fit me. Should I get one?? Totally kidding.
The cupcakes look fabulous!

Nellie June 20, 2014 - 9:19 pm

I bet they would be so insanely comfortable too!!

catherine gacad June 17, 2014 - 8:23 pm

we had a certified professional install our carseat. it came with a lesson and tutorial. as a result, i have checked my friends’ carseats and have told them that they are not buckling their children correctly!

Nellie June 20, 2014 - 9:17 pm

You are so good for passing on that information Catherine!! Lots of people have no idea how to install it!

Leslie June 17, 2014 - 9:34 pm

I did so much research when we had T…it was almost to the point of being ridiculous. We ended up with a Graco carrier, which has been awesome. BUT I definitely like our Britax Roundabouts better. They’re so easy to use, and have some of the best safety ratings. Though I thought the useable lifetime for a car seat was 10 years instead of 6. Thanks for the heads up! (And who doesn’t love a good pedicure…glad to know they like to pamper the Moms too!)

Nellie June 20, 2014 - 9:15 pm

SO good that you were a great researcher of car seats! Soon they will probably reduced it even more because technology is moving so fast!

KalleyC June 18, 2014 - 1:46 pm

Mr. C usually does all the research for the carseats, we eventually settled on the same car seat comany that makes racing carseats….not that I’m driving fast, but they had a pretty good ratings, and safty ratings. The down side is that these carseats are large! Can’t fit 3 in a row if I wanted to. But we have been very satisifed with our carseats, and know that the kids are safe.

Nellie June 20, 2014 - 9:10 pm

Thanks fantastic Kalley! We can’t fit 3 either!!

ADANNA June 18, 2014 - 3:46 pm

Something else to make me paranoid bout (J/K) going to post this on my Facebook page though! Super helpful

Nellie June 20, 2014 - 8:47 pm

lol Thanks so much Adanna!

James July 10, 2014 - 7:26 am

Most people make the mistakes of buying used car seats, which they regret later. Car seat is not about the money, but it is more about your own safety and comfort. Furthermore, one should always opt for the car seats from the authorized agency.

Quintina November 30, 2015 - 10:07 pm

I haven’t seen much reviews for the Evenflo ProComfort Symphony DLX Convertible Car Seat for infants are they truely safe or are they lose on the child like i read on one site. I wanna make sure we made the safest purchase for our baby girl.