Prior to learning meeting the “right” instructor I have always considered Zumba to be a rest day sort of class. The kind that would loosen me up after an extremely heavy lifting session or a hard spin ride. No more! Zumba is just as intense as the rest of high intensity classes at the gym!
Top 5 reasons why Zumba is so amazing:
1) the sexy factor: our instructor had us literally whipping our hair around and shaking our money makers for everything. Throw in some cute workout clothes, a room filled with mirrors and you feel like a million bucks! Where else can you do that? Except in the mirror at home where your kids smirk at you?
2) the music: Zumba will never give you a slow tune. Even with a semi slow salsa tune your hips are still moving and your inner goddess* is glowing. Most tunes are extremely fast paced, fun and just make you feel so goooood when you are dancing (ahem, working out).
*fifty shades of grey reference
3) the do your own thing factor: some steps are easy some steps are like…um can we try that again?! Slowwwwly? But the best part is you can have a blast and burn calories just trying your hardest, as long as you are giving it your all and that heartrate is up, you are golden!
4) the music video factor: somehow being in class dancing all those steps with all these other women made me feel like I was a part of some crazy sexy flash mob! Dancing these high energy sexy moves with everyone else made me feel like a rockstar! So much fun!
5) you actually get a serious workout from it: no, really. I am now a believer. A true believer. I was drenched in 45 minutes, and I do not easily perspire. At one point I was having so much fun that when the song was over and I stopped I had to grab on to my knees and collect myself. (And I call myself an athlete! Smh!)
If you have taken Zumba before and it hasn’t been “all that” then you have not found the right instructor. Keep trying!
A really great alternative is the Zumba 2 for the Wii, I have it and I generally burn around 700 calories per session. It is just fantastic (and so much fun!).
Have you guys tried Zumba? Is it “all that” for YOU?