Easy Spinach Stuffed Shells
I love pasta, to an extent.
I make pasta a lot in the house because my husband loves it and can eat it everyday but usually after 3 days I tap out. I simply can’t eat anymore pasta!
This is definitely an exception.
I learned how to make stuffed shells from my sister in law many many moons ago. I dare to say 10 years ago because I am pretty sure my husband and I weren’t even engaged then. I remember going to Virginia to visit her and my nephew and he introducing me to shells for the first time.
Like a great sister in law she showed me exactly how to make it, because honestly the whole notion of stuffed shells sounded like it was way beyond my culinary capabilities. I would learn that day that it was way easier than it seems and the end result looks phenomenal.
It really a matter of mixing different ingredients and stuffing (spooning) the mixture into the shells for baking. I have done stuffed shells with ground beef, cheese only, & ground turkey. Today’s recipe is filled with 70% spinach and 30% lowfat ricotta cheese. I originally found this recipe on SkinnyMom.com, and as usual I didn’t have all the ingredients so I made due with what I had. 🙂
What I loved the most about this recipe was that it was definitely mostly spinach. It pairs perfectly with a leafy spring salad and it is a rather quick meal, prep time for me was really no more than 20 minutes! The original recipe calls for 2.5 cups of meat sauce but since I am not a sauce fan I really only used a 1/2 cup of regular sauce.
Prep time: 18 minutes
Cook time: 15-20 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
Serving size: 3 stuffed shells
- 12 oz box jumbo shells pasta
- 10 oz bag frozen spinach
- 8 oz part-skim Ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup Parmesan-Reggiano cheese, grated
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp low moisture, part-skim, shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2½ cups Skinny Meat Pasta Sauce
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add pasta shells to boiling water and cook for 8-10 minutes until almost al dente.
- Drain pasta shells and spread pasta shells onto a sheet of wax paper to dry.
- Place spinach in microwave and cook for 5-6 minutes as directed on package.
- Drain spinach and make sure to remove all of the moisture from spinach until it is dry.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix spinach, fat-free ricotta cheese, Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese, salt, garlic powder, and pepper.
- Using a 9×13 casserole dish, spoon a small amount of Skinny Spaghetti and Meat Sauce to cover the bottom of dish.
- Next, fill pasta shells with spinach mixture by using a spoon to place mixture inside each pasta shell.
- Place filled pasta shells face up into casserole dish.
- Top filled pasta shells with Skinny Spaghetti Meat Sauce and sprinkle reduced-fat Mozzarella cheese on top.
- Heat pasta shells in oven for 15-20 minutes and serve hot.
Have you ever tried stuffed shells? What kind of version have you made?