Home Friday Fitness Check-in 5 Ways to Stay Mentally Engaged In Your Healthy Living Goals

5 Ways to Stay Mentally Engaged In Your Healthy Living Goals

FridayFitness

It’s been a while since I’ve done a Friday Fitness Check-in! I am happy to be back.

For the past 4 weeks I have been really busy. Like, being pulled in every single direction type of busy. Although being busy is the norm around here, (hence the whole point of the blog) something happened during the course of those 2 weeks and it was sneaky and undetectable – – I was no longer mentally engaged in my process to get healthier.

The hardest part about getting healthier has never been the exercise or even the food. It has been the mental aspect, the part of me that believes I can do it. The part of me that ignores the upward movement or non movement of the scale. The part that says by this date you WILL be this size.

That part of me is responsible for my weight loss. It is responsible for my food tracking habits and never ending desire to succeed. Somehow over the past few weeks the cerebral aspect of the game was put on pause. I didn’t even have a clue! Life really went on.

Since last October I have been mentally locked and loaded. I’ve lost more weight in the past four months than I have in YEARS! Being mentally in the game is powerful. It is the invisible power that stops you from over eating your favorite foods, it pushes you to go one more mile, it gives you confidence in yourself–in your ability.

Without that confidence I was stuck in a rut. Too tired to cook dinner for myself, passing on my strength training challenge on more than a few days. Not monitoring my water intake, and the list goes on. Without the mental engagement old habits creep in and take over.

Thankfully I caught it before it could get the best of me and here are the ways that I got my head back in the game.

5 Ways to Stay Mentally Engaged In Your Healthy Living Goals

Having a hard time staying on the diet? Here are 5 Ways To Stay Mentally Engaged In Your Healthy Living Journey!

1) New Trainer: I got a new trainer and he is all kinds of awesome. He is paying attention to me, hearing me out AND he just happens to be an old college buddy. Working out with him was hard and eye opening as the workout highlighted to me that I had been going through the motions by doing easier workouts.

2) Reassessed Diet: I began to take a look at my food intake. Had I been slacking off? Eating  too much? Eating too little? I made some tweaks to somethings that may have been slowing me down and making me sluggish.

brown rice, braised beef, kale salad & quinoa salad = amaze

brown rice, braised beef, kale salad & quinoa salad = amaze

3) Shopped My Closet: I have been going to the gym everyday but just doing  it as a chore. I decided to go deep in my workout wardrobe and picked something I’d never worn before. When I put it on I was happy (because I couldn’t fit it last year), and that led to a fantastic workout.

4) Set Small Goals : I would really love to lose a simple 2 pounds this month. Just enough to get me back on track with the losses. I have done a great job not gaining any but when the mental stopped the losses stopped too.

photo2

5) Gave Myself Credit : Just because the losses stopped doesn’t mean that all I have accomplished in a few months wasn’t worth celebrating. The weight loss train may have stopped but the light is still green.

photo1 (1)

I am happy that even though life got in the way, I didn’t fall face first into old habits. This process–like any other process–takes a lot of time and patience. Not everyday will be “on”  but the goal is really to have more on days than off days in the end.

Have you had off days in your goal pursuits? Feel free to check in with your Wellness wins and/or losses!

Allie March 7, 2014 - 6:12 am

I always tell my clients that it’s 80% mental. If you think you can… The mind is a very powerful thing and, unfortunately, it goes both ways. I’m SO happy to hear you are in it to win int!!! Not that I ever had a doubt. It seems to be you’re in the best place you have been, both mentally AND physically and this will carry you toward your goals. There will always be off days but it’s what you do with them that counts.

Nellie March 10, 2014 - 9:24 pm

It totally makes sense Allie, the mental part has been difficult for me, but somethings happened over the weekend and I think I have my mojo back!

Michelle March 7, 2014 - 6:55 am

It is true…a lot of this is just getting into a process of a new routine, a new way of life. Old habits are hard to break but you can make new habits. I am slow sometimes to get it done, but I do get it done sometimes.

Nellie March 10, 2014 - 9:23 pm

exactly right Michelle!

Janine March 7, 2014 - 7:47 am

Wonderful goals and I need to set some new ones for myself, because I have been totally slacking and definitely gained a few pounds over this cold, long winter myself. Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend, Nellie!! 🙂

Nellie March 10, 2014 - 9:22 pm

Thanks Janine!

Kimberly (Manifest Yourself) March 7, 2014 - 9:58 am

I planned to write about this today since I had a yucky morning workout! 🙂 Thanks for the tips + I am happy that you found a new trainer that you love too.

Nellie March 10, 2014 - 9:22 pm

Yes! he is awesome. I’m so happy I made the switch.

FitBritt March 7, 2014 - 12:56 pm

What a great post Nellie! So true! I am so happy to hear you have a new trainer. I know you struggled with your old one!

Nellie March 10, 2014 - 9:21 pm

I did! I have a post coming up on my transition to the new guy 🙂

Hope March 7, 2014 - 1:52 pm

Get it Nellie!! Man, being mentally engaged is the majority of the battle. That’s what keeps us accountable. I fell off the wagon in a big way after Ragnar. I’d been training for a year and when it was over I was so busy, I felt blah about my work outs (I only run about 8 miles/wk 🙁 ) . I’m encouraged by your post today. Thanks for sharing your great tips.

Nellie March 10, 2014 - 9:20 pm

I am so glad you are encouraged, I personally think that you deserve a break after such a big race!

Kim March 7, 2014 - 2:29 pm

I love your positive attitude!
And, what a great idea to shop the closet – so true that having some fun/cute new workout stuff helps a lot!

Nellie March 10, 2014 - 9:16 pm

Yes! I tend to recycle so its really awesome to try something new 🙂

Tamara March 7, 2014 - 3:50 pm

Oh yes, off days, weeks, months.
You have a great attitude and I adore your accountability and your honesty about this.
We’re not SuperWomen, but maybe we’re close, right?

Nellie March 9, 2014 - 10:24 pm

pretty close 😉

Joi March 7, 2014 - 4:05 pm

Seems that it is a busy time for most! I like these tips! I always love the new or old outfit trick, works every time!

Nellie March 9, 2014 - 10:23 pm

Exactly!! Gotta look fly at the gym!!

Carla March 7, 2014 - 11:10 pm

I’m like a roller coaster when it comes to goals. I’m up and down and all over the place. Great tips!

Nellie March 9, 2014 - 10:23 pm

Thanks Carla!!

Crystal March 8, 2014 - 7:37 am

I understand how difficult it can be to stay “on” and on track. I have a husband, career and ministry. Now that Lent has started, ministry is extra busy. As a Type A, I have made an effort to learn to forgive myself. I cannot and will not do everything. I do the best that I can do and then stop. I’m glad that your new trainer is great. You’ll reach your goals!

Nellie March 9, 2014 - 10:23 pm

Amen, thanks so much for the encouragement Crystal!!

Alison Hector March 9, 2014 - 10:28 pm

Good for you, Nellie! You recognized the mental slump and came back with a counter-offensive. All five tips are workable and will give you (and the rest of us aiming to stay in the fitness game) the results you crave.

Nellie March 10, 2014 - 9:27 pm

Thanks Alison! I definitely feel more encouraged after identifying the issue.

Terri March 10, 2014 - 11:57 am

You are absolutely right. Meeting your health goals absolutely has to do with your mental thoughts. I notice it the most while jogging and struggling to make it to the end. However, whenever I want to give up repeat this quote to myself, “Your body can go on forever. It’s your mind that’s tricking you to stop.” Once I remind myself of that, I can always make it to the end.

Nellie March 10, 2014 - 9:27 pm

That is the perfect quote and I think I will steal it thank you very much! lol

Nellie March 10, 2014 - 9:20 pm

Thanks Angela!

Nellie March 10, 2014 - 9:28 pm

You have to Tara! we work to hard to not give ourselves credit for all of that hard work!

The Bathroom Scale Is A Liar - I Hit Goal Dress Size! - Brooklyn Active Mama March 11, 2014 - 4:11 am

[…] week Friday for the Friday Fitness Check In I talked about 5 ways you can stay mentally engaged in your journey. I have been feeling so mentally out of it, and I have been going through the motions of working […]

Kristina Walters March 11, 2014 - 5:13 am

Great tips Nellie! Sometimes we need to do a self evaluation. I found that the road to fitness goals is dynamic. What worked once may not be working now and we periodically need to reevaluate our methods to stay on track. Great job!

Nellie March 11, 2014 - 7:56 pm

Thanks Kristina!! The re evaluation is key for me!! I am learning to do it at least every 2-3 months.

3/9/14: The Skinny March 15, 2014 - 2:15 pm

[…] catching up on my reading and not feeling like working out when I read this article from Nellie on staying mentally engaged in your healthy living goals. Wonderful […]

Mihaela Echols December 13, 2016 - 3:40 pm

Food intake is one of the biggest factors. I tell everyone this. As soon as they start watching what they eat and drink a lot of water the weight just drops.