Entrepreneur Life 6 Months In: Figuring Things Out
Can you believe it’s been a solid six months since I quit my job? The time has SERIOUSLY flown and just like that I am half a year into creating my own paycheck. I think I might be finally fully adjusted to a few things like 1) Not commuting and going into an office every single day. 2) Not getting a large amount of money in my bank account every 2 weeks and 3) Lighting the fire under myself even when I don’t want to.
The Dream Realized
So many of my friends have said to me that they are not only proud but they want to do what I’m doing. I use this as a strong motivation to not only be the best I can, but prove that not only can it be done, but with the right moves it can absolutely work. One thing that is clear about entrepreneur life is that there is no clock out button. There is a pause button, but that doesn’t last very long. The work is constant and most times unforgiving.
Blog & Biz
My main struggle these days is choosing between growing my blog and growing my business. Why not do both you say? Simple explanation: When you pay attention to one, the other gets jealous. My main struggle is that I have been working on BrooklynActiveMama for over 5 years now, all of my blood sweat and tears is in it. The majority of my income (about 75%) comes from the blog, with the other 25% coming from the business. I wish I could clone myself to work solely on the business so that I can continue to do what I need to do for the blog.
There were a LOT of firsts in the lasts few months. I created and sent my first contract. Sent my first business invoice and receipt. I currently have two clients and they are … time consuming to say the least. They shouldn’t be so I’m trying to figure out how to be more efficient with the work I do for them. Getting that first monthly payment a few months ago made it all feel real. I was getting paid for a service I provided, a service they were happy with. A service that MANY businesses could be happy with, which leads me to my next topic…
I’ve created an intense marketing plan for 2017. My goal is to have 10 clients and possibly a team by the end of next year. I’ve done NO marketing at all in 2016…can you believe that? I really wanted to create a foundation with the two clients I have then move on to new business. I know that my professional experience has helped me a LOT when it comes to handling my clients because being an national account manager is very similar to managing social media accounts–it requires a lot of patience, excellent customer service and most importantly listening and executing the vision.
Actually being present daily for my kids has been a gift. It gets stressful (A LOT) but I didn’t realize the intense amount of guilt I was holding onto by asking my mom to do so much (pickup the kids, help with their homework, take care of them on off days etc). I didn’t realize how MUCH she was doing and I am happy that I can take that off of her plate. I was so used to coming home from work to kids with homework done, projects complete, fed children–one hour before bedtime. I took it all for granted. Sometimes she comes over to help me tackle kindergarten and 2nd grade homework and I am so grateful!
Next month I will likely be opening up a BAM Shop. I have been contemplating doing some fitness gear for moms like myself who love cute workout tanks as much as I do, so look out for that! I’ve also been working on some fun fitness printables, so get ready to get your whole fitness life together!
Overall thoughts at 6 months in
I am happy with this situation. It is never something I saw myself doing until I realized it had to be done. Some days I’m biting my nails, other days I am SO excited to simply be a business owner. I still don’t have my feet firmly planted in this life but for right now…it works! I have already made plans to attend 4-6 conferences next year–not just the popular ones either. I spent a lot of 2016 on fun conferences, next year I am focused on serious, hands on next level learning conferences and networking.Chatting what #Entrepreneur Life has been after a very interesting six months!Click To Tweet