Sometimes it is HARD not put put your own fears on to your kids.
After all it is a FEAR, something that you can’t willingly remove, something that can cripple you and dominate your nightmares–YET you are responsible for one or more human beings that you would do ANY thing to keep that same fear from.
I don’t know how to swim. It scares me. I want to learn one day but I really need to get out of my own head first. My mom enrolled me in swim classes as a kid, there must have been at least 12 other kids in the class and while I was hanging out on the ledge over at the deep end, I somehow slipped in. It must have been 5-6 seconds tops but I remember the absolute terror that filled me from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet. The instructor grabbed me roughly and I coughed and coughed until I was back to normal again…and NEVER went back as a result.
Earlier this summer I attended a Swim Today event hosted by MomTrends. It was a great event, we got to meet Olympic Gold Medalist Dara Torres and heard her amazing story of being a WINNER and really never giving up on being the best. She was so inspirational and such a great advocate for swimming and how much of a team sport it is.
It was a great event, and I was excited–but would I really be okay with putting both of my children in the water?
There are so many great benefits to swimming that honestly, it was hard to pass up!
BENEFITS OF SWIMMING: THE #FUNNESTSPORT
- Fun is the most important factor for parents when choosing a sport for their child.
- Most children who swim on a team, say they choose to swim because it’s fun.
- In addition to being “fun” swimming has many benefits that parents may not immediately be aware of:
- Every child participates – Swimming is inclusive, there are no bench warmers (no benches) in swimming.
- Low risk of injury – Parents want a safe, healthy, lifelong activity for kids especially
- When the rise of head injuries in contact sports is a big concern for parents.
- Swimming is a team sport – Most non-swimming parents don’t think swimming is a team sport but parents of swimmers associate the sport with teamwork more than any other sport.
- It’s more accessible than people think – More than 60 percent of families live
- within 10 minutes of a pool.
- Suit up and go – Only a swimsuit, cap and goggles are necessary to get started.
- Life skills – Swimming increases self-confidence, self-esteem, time management,
- goal-setting and social development.
- Easy to learn – you don’t have to be particularly athletic to learn to swim. It’s a
- sport anyone can do.
- Swimming = total body fitness – Swimming burns 650 calories in an hour – more than walking, biking or team sports.
- It’s Sport for life – Once you learn to swim, you can enjoy no matter your age.
- Swimming is FUN – Parents and kids confirm that swimming is the #FunnestSport
The amazing folks at Swim Today gifted us with swimming lessons for both boys for the entire summer. It was too good to pass up. I knew I’d not only have to face my fears but bury them DEEP so that the boys wouldn’t even get a sniff of it. We had tried them with lessons before but it was almost always a cryfest for both of them and as soon as they got used to the instructor, the program abruptly closed.
We were placed in a really great program–there are no more than 4 kids per lesson. The kids are all on the same level of learning and the instructors are super kind and patient. I’ve witnessed them deal with my overly chatty 3 year old and easily distracted 6 year old. The staff and the facility were extremely pleasant and I actually felt comfortable leaving my kids in the water with them.
Even though they taught each kid individually–I was shocked at how they were able to keep a close eye on all of the kids even while giving singular attention. Yes, my heart raced more than once, but the smiles are so worth it. After their first lesson they were hooked and squealed with joy when they found out they were going back every week!
They have made such huge strides with their swimming in just 7 short weeks that we plan to continue and pay for the lessons permanently. The slots fill extremely quickly because the Imagine Swimming program is truly one of a kind and worth every penny. From the small class size to the extremely warm and talented instructors, this is easily the best swim program out there!
I am happy I buried my fear. I might even try it myself one day.
The cool part is that you can find a fantastic swim program for the kids in your life by checking out Swim Today! They have national programs so you can click here and see where the lessons are near you!